2.0TDI oil usage?

SDHA4SLine

Reaction score
How much oil would you expect a 2.0TDI to eat?

For the first time in over 2 years of ownership I've had to top up with oil between services. I've topped up with 1/2 litre after 7.5k miles. My car is 2006 Avant 2.0TDI (BRD 170), 90% motorway driving and not hanging around either.

I haven't had to top up before as for the last two years my cars been treated to so many oil changes way before they're due as I've had it in garages for other upgrades repairs etc and I nearly always take the opportunity to get an oil and filter change at the same time.

I'm not really that worried as it doesn't seem excessive but I haven't been able to gauge what's normal usage yet?

Thanks

I have the same engine as you Steve and I've had mine nearly 12 months and I have only had to fill up once. It was when I first got it after around 2k miles.....but since then nothing at all.

I know some of the newer Audi's drink oil like it's going out of fashion....my neighbours brother has an A1 and he's owned that just over 12 months and in that time he has topped it up with enough oil to do a service on my car.

As you say "it doesn't seem excessive" which tbh it isn't....I'd just keep an eye on it and see if it needs doing again.

Reactions: SDHA4SLine
The Audi 2.0T FSI engines allow for a litre every 1,200 miles, so I wouldn't worry about the usage you're seeing! Some of the newish BMW engines 'acceptable' allowance is 1.5 litres per 1,000!

Being a BRD it might have a partially failing oil pump drive causing low oil pressure and wear long before the acual red warning comes up .

Cool.

What precise oil are you using ?
Quantum Longlife on services. I had to top up with Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 as couldn't get my hands on quantum quickly.

EDIT: I tell a lie, just checked my invoice from last dealer service and it says Mobil Super 3000 (cant see the full description)