Westfalia Towbar Electrics - Problem with 1 wire, not sure where it goes

Zafi

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2015 B8 and just fitting a Westfalia 7 pin towbar wiring. The car does not have trailer prep.

There are no words in the instructions, just photos.

Anyone any idea what this means?

I have to find a wire on the handbrake module, but which one? Does it mean a wire that is live when the car is locked? Or live when handbrake on? Seems to suggest it's not black??

Thanks in advance for any pointers. Typical of me to start this when PF Jones are closed.....

Attachments

• Westfalia Puzzle.JPG
    Westfalia Puzzle.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 745
Hahaha ! Looks like the instruction diagrams are produced by the same outfit that produce Ikea flat pack furniture assembly 'instructions'.....

My interpretation is a switched ign live ( + 15 terminal is switched 12v when ign is on ) the colour I don't quite get, but is it - it should be black, but if it's not the write the colour of the wire on the line
• Zafi - This Is Just My Guess ! Please Check With Manufacturers If Unsure

7 pin sockets usually are for the basic lighting, can't think why they say a connection should be made to the handbrake.

Screen Shot 2016 10 29 at 105232

It's the proper canbus connected module, same as factory fitted unit, but as me car is not pre-wired with the red plug I need to instal all the signal and power supply wiring to the red plug which came with the Westfalia kit.

Sorry can't help you there, wired a few towbars back in the day but never quite been able to get my head round canbus.

Sorted now, Chris Haslam from PF Jones replied to my email on a Saturday. Top bloke!

It is in fact a switched live, I need to check which wire is switched. So Gary was spot on, cake is in the post ;)

It's easier to get a switched live from a nearby fuse block, so going to do that with a piggyback fuse holder.

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro
All done. It's great how the rear parking sensors are turned off when the trailer is plugged in, shows a neat picture of a trailer on the display! Second turn indicator light on the dash too.

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro
All done. It's great how the rear parking sensors are turned off when the trailer is plugged in, shows a neat picture of a trailer on the display! Second turn indicator light on the dash too.
Do you know which wire senses that trailer atteched? I thought it should be pin 12 linked to earth?