Newbie in the house!

meatychi

Reaction score
Morning all!

So I have just sold my E46 and looking at venturing into the world of a 1998 A4 Avant 1.9tdi quattro.

I do a shed load of miles and I plan to take a few trips to some snowy climates so I figured this would be a safe choice in car for all round abuse.

The car will be coming with full grey leather interior, a new cambelt, new discs and pads all round and a couple of new tyres. She has got a 116K on the clock and has 11 services for some reason. Oh and she will have 12 months MOT too.

What do you think to £4750?

Is there anything in particular i should look out for when I pick her up?

Your comments will be much appreciated as I am not at all mechanically minded.

Cheers!

Look out for worn front suspension, unless the arms have been replace in the past it will be well worn at that mileage,

I know the tdi avants tend to attract a premium but that sounds expensive for a 98 car with that mileage. To put it in perspective i paid £5500 for mine 2 years ago a 98 1.8t Sport (saloon), leather, climate etc.. which had under 50k

Thats way to much to pay .have you got advert for it ?........£2800 max.if you go to ebay you can compare prices and the autotrader is a good benchmark for price......Track control arms as Phil says are the things to look out for ......look through the history of the car for these been replaced......Regarding the engine check for water discolouration in the expansion tank.........check all the hoses connected to the turbo and the EGR Valve(silver thing beside inlet manifold)for splits....when driving the power band should be through from 2000rpm

docurley said:
After having a look it's about right.

Yeah i have just had a nose around the autotrader site and you dont get as much as i would expect for that money, I thought that you would get a decent mileage facelift at least. I think id have to ask myself if i really needed an avant with that kind of premium for one

Thanks for all your replies!

Here is the AD!

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...&ukcarsearch_full.y=9&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

They have put it through an MOT and found issues with the suspension arms / rubbers as PhilR has stated. They are fitting new ones, replacing all discs and pads and replacing the cambelt.

I thought the price was ok considering the amount of work they are doing.

My search was extended to the 2wd's and there were loads of lower mileage motors but not really the spec I was after.

"Regarding the engine check for water discolouration in the expansion tank.........check all the hoses connected to the turbo and the EGR Valve(silver thing beside inlet manifold)for splits." - Sorry Rev-Head! as I expalined in my initial post I dont have a clue about engines so all of what you quoted means nowt to me!

Price sounds about right seeing as its a Quattro Avant TDi. They are holding their value pretty well, because they are in high demand. The mileage is good at 116K, just run in really, will do 3 times that mileage.

It will have a 110 BHP engine, same as mine, but i would recommend a chip as it makes a huge difference to the driveability of the car, and even improves the fuel economy too, depending on how you drive.

Good luck with it if you do buy it :)

Just to let you all know how it went at the weekend.

I travelled 60 miles cross country to Cheltenham to to take a look at this R reg A4 1.9tdi quattro I had my eye on. The dealer had a week to prep this car .

If anyone else may be interested then I think you should know the following.

OSF alloy rusted beyond belief
NS wing indicator hanging out
Handbrake clicks 12 times
Hankbrake cover busted
Air con and fans not working
Brakes unsafe
1600 extra miles than originally stated.

The muppets at this independant let me test drive the car knowing the cars brakes were unsafe yet they lay all the blame on the MOT test centre that released it stating that it had passed the test.

They then expected me to go back today so that he could rectify all the problems. How he had the nerve to try and make me feel guilty for his negligance, I don't know?

What a first class w*ker

Is it ok to name and shame on this forum?

Finding the right Audi is becoming more of a task than I expected.

Why do so many people lie about the motors they are trying to sell?

I went to see one car that the owners claimed to be a 2001 a4 avant SE and when I checked out the docs, it turned out to be a 1999 base with aircon!

Then there was a 2001 A4 1.9tdi SE saloon that turned out to be a 2000 Base with Aircon and an armrest.

Can someone direct me to a definative list of the various models and what specs came with them?

Should an SE have the Alacantara as standard?

Going to see a fully loaded A6 Avant 2.5TDI Quattro SE Sport later on - SO FINGERS CROSSED!

Good luck with the search, i looked for ages for mine, and it had everything i wanted except for only having a 1.8 eng.So i am going to change that out soon

Meatychi

Why don't you have a look at my car. It's a 1.8 T Quattro Sport with FULL Audi Service History and ONLY 54900 miles. OK, it needs minor paintwork done to the bootlid and the alloys could do with being renovated, but this would be less than £400, and would in my opinion, leave the car in A1 condition.

I've just put a deposit down on a new car, hence would prefer to sell it rather than PX. I benefit as I get more cash for it, but I also want an enthusiast to get it, as the garage have stated they will send it to auction.

I was asking for too much originally at £6400, I know that now. I've lopped £1,000 off the asking price for a quick sale, but haven't got round to update the Autotrader advert. It's going now for £5,400 ono.

See more details and photos at my other posts here

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=30111

I know your having problems finding the car you want, I can guarantee there are no lies about this car.

£5,400 ono for quick sale , I've got a deposit paid on a newer one already.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks one and all!

Sorry Alan - Your motor looks nice and sounds quite appealing but I think I found my new baby!

Just got to run an HPI on her and all being well then I will be the new owner of an S reg A6 2.5 TDI Quattro

Sport Suspension
Uprated Brakes
Black Leather Recaros
Multitronic gear box
6 cd Changer
Privacy glass
98K on the clock

Meatychi

Sounds like a nice car, with a rare spec. Hope the HPI comes out OK. Good luck.

Cheers

Alan

Its an Avant!

Can anyone tell me what comes as standard for this particular model it is on an S plate

Picking it up later on today!

I dont have any pics apart form the ones on the advert and I havent worked out how to post images yet so hang fast and i will post some as soon as poss.

Maybe I should be posting them up in the right forum too!