oil change: Drain plug or Extractor???

Dan-1981

Reaction score
Quick question in preparation for my DIY oil service?

What do people do:

1. Jack car up, drain all old oil out via the drain plug and renew the washer, then fill up?

or

2. Use an oil extractor to get the oil out via the dip stick?

I extract from the dips tick with an electric pump. Done it for the last almost 3 years with no problems.

I've used a PELA vacuum extractor for years, they are best where you also have a "topside" filter. They are so easy and clean to use they encourage more regular oil changing. Unfortunately on some cars you have to get underneath to remove the filter and so may as well remove the drain plug at the same time. Unfortunately, my A3 has some sort of baffle system in the sump and the PELA probe won't reach the oil.

I empty the oil out of the sump and then use my old trusted vacuum extractor to empty out the oil filter housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pela pumps work fine, saves going under the car. You still need to warm up the engine oil before extracting the oil. All the Audis I know have top mounted filters, don't they?

Reactions: Dan-1981
Just goes to show you learn somethong new everday. Knew knew that let alone heard of pumping the used oil out from the top. Im about to become an audi ae b6 1.8t owner. Is it best to pump the oil out from the top on that? If so where can i buy such a pump and how much are they?

I'm not going to knock the idea of vac'ng the oil out the top, though maybe avoid the smaller Pela one as I tried that only once and it was like waiting for paint to dry, okay for the motor mower though.
What I will say is, most of us never make annual inspections of the underside of our cars, if you drop the oil from the drain plug, you will need to raise the car a bit or drive over a pit/hoist, when you do that you get a good chance to look over the underside of the entire car - not a bad way to pass the time while the oil drains out, two jobs done at the same time, one of which will normally get ignored until something goes wrong?

Tell me about it. I know every inch on the underside of my 99 vectra gsi.

Reactions: Dan-1981
I can think of a better ways to pass the time. You can buy pumps from any car spares shop or on the Bay.

I can think of a better ways to pass the time. You can buy pumps from any car spares shop or on the Bay.

Very true, but then maybe you don't understand what goes on underneath your car, oh and not all Audis have top mounted oil filters.

Very true, but then maybe you don't understand what goes on underneath your car, oh and not all Audis have top mounted oil filters.
It's an Audi, they tell me they are perfect :sm4:

You were on Golf Mk 4 forum weren't you?

Oh no, not me!

You seemed to have missed out the final essential "free bonus" - ie £10 Christmas/New Year payment!

Hi. This is probably the most relevant thread to ask my question. It's about the plastic oil drain plug for my Audi S3 (8V) 2020. At the dealership I was told that the drain plug needs to be replaced even if I extract the oil from the top as the gasket that is on the plug/screw itself dries out with time.

Is this something to consider?

Hi. This is probably the most relevant thread to ask my question. It's about the plastic oil drain plug for my Audi S3 (8V) 2020. At the dealership I was told that the drain plug needs to be replaced even if I extract the oil from the top as the gasket that is on the plug/screw itself dries out with time.

Is this something to consider?
Not familiar with the plastic sump, but I've seen videos. I think the sump plug has an 'o' ring washer on it. There's two ways to look at this - if it's dry as a bone, you can leave it, but for the cost of a new sump plug - it's all about prevention of future leaks.

Maybe the service routine involves extracting the majority of the oil via the dip stick hole THEN removing the drain plug to drop out the remaining oil - doing it that way would require the plastic drain plug to be replaced with a new one. I don't like these plastic drain plugs, but they are very easy to remove and fit back in place without causing any damage - like what can happen with alloy or steel sumps and a clown on the end of the spanner/socket.

Maybe the service routine involves extracting the majority of the oil via the dip stick hole THEN removing the drain plug to drop out the remaining oil - doing it that way would require the plastic drain plug to be replaced with a new one. I don't like these plastic drain plugs, but they are very easy to remove and fit back in place without causing any damage - like what can happen with alloy or steel sumps and a clown on the end of the spanner/socket.
Yes possibly. I was just told that they drain it even though the protocol says "Engine oil - suction". I've personally changed 2-3 times without removing drain plug with no issues, so to be on the safe side I will alternate the methods every other time, once draining and once extraction etc. When I suggested this to the dealership they said it's no probs.