A4 - Rear Electric Window Defeat Switch

VennyQuattro

Reaction score
Recently acquired my '02 A4 and very pleased with it indeed.
The only problem I've found so far is that the switch that locks the rear windows doesn't appear to work!
The switch is permanently in 'lock' so the rear passengers have no control over the windows.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Is it likely to be a faulty switch, or faulty connected electronics?
i.e. is the switch just a toggle switch or connected to some relay curcuit?
Can I replace the switch without having to remove the entire door card? :blush:

The car was purchased privately so I'm going to have to sort this one out myself.

TIA

Is the Orange(might be yellow) LED lit on the switch? There are 2 LED's on the switch, a red one and an orange(yellow) one. If the orange(yellow) one is lit, the rear windows are disabled. If this is not lit and the windows are still disabled, check the diagram on the fuse-box cover. You may find that the rear windows have their own fuse and it has blown. Failing that, I'd suspect a faulty switch.

On the other hand, when I had a new convienience module fitted to my car, audi forgot to program it for rear elec windows, so the rear windows no longer worked. It had to be correctly programmed to recognise the rear elec windows.

The windows work from the front mounted controls, just not the rear ones because I can't disable the over-ride.
It's an amber LED as you say, press the button down, the LED goes off, let go and it remains on amber.
Does the switch stay depressed when the windows are in unlocked mode, or is it a pure toggle action?
The other red? LED just does not illuminate and the windows stay locked cia the rear controls.

Thanks for you help.

I'm trying to establish if the switch mechanism is faulty, or it is some relay that isn't activating?

A haynes wiring diagram would be ideal, of course they don't make one for the B6 series!!!

Ah, sounds like a faulty switch. It should stay depressed when the amber light goes off. The amber light comes on when the switch is raised. Sounds like your switch isn't latching in the depressed position.

I suspected as much, thanks for the response.

Right any ideas how I sort this one out? can I buy just a switch? do I have to remove the entire door card to get to it?

TIA

Got ELSAWIN software now, decided to have a look at the wiring, hoping it is a faulty switch mechanism that I can repair because the wiring disappears into one of the network protocols so if it's something more sinister I'm stuck.
Going to wait until some fairer weather though before removing the door trim and faffing with it, a fine spring days job me thinks!!