S4 Engine mounts

mdmay

Reaction score
So i have recently been getting a progressively more rough idle and have just logged the car and came away with the following left engine mount solenoid valve (n144) error.
Has anyone ever changed a mount on the S4 and if so how much of a pain is it? I have just had the timing chains replaced as they rattling for at least 30 seconds on start up so another big bill could be a little annoying.

Just bumping this as I did not realise that the engine mounts are active.
At idle the fluid inside acts as a damper and allowed to flow through a small hole. Above idle a solenoid valve activates to shut the hole and prevent the fluid escape. In effect "soft" at idle and "stiff" when revs are raised.

Has anyone else had an engine mounting failure on a B8 S4 with manual trans?

I noticed a "black round ribbed part" that was covered in fluid, along with a slight trail of probably the same fluid down the front cross bar of the subframe, and a small damp patch on the under tray - when I serviced my 2011 S4 last month!

I'll need to get it back up in the air again and have a closer look, I have been away on a 300mile round trip with no bad effects showing up, but I'd like to attend to this ASAP.

Doing the job myself looks annoying but possible - probably I'll need to unbolt the alternator for the RHS mounting - the one that is already leaking, and the AC compressor and oil cooler for the LHS one.

Looking for a pair of replacements and it looks like Audi is the only safe option for standard new engine mountings, they only sell a complete "engine mountings kit" - the price of which will be a bit high, but such is life when running one of these cars. Note, I have never ever worked this car hard or knowingly abused it, and to my shame(?!) the mileage has just passed 30,000miles, so I guess it is just down to age and nothing more.

Ideally I'd just buy a couple of Lemforder engine mountings, but they do not seem to cover the "heavier" engine's version of mounting.

Thanks in anticipation.

Oh well, so currently no interest in this topic!
Just in case anyone else has to change their B8 S4 engine mountings, Lemforder do not provide a solution for B8 S4, only “lesser” B8 S4. Meyle look like they do, but when digging deeper it seems like their range of engine mountings covering the full range of B8 A4 which includes S4, is smaller than Audi’s so in the case of B8 S4 not quite the same stiffness as original, plus Audi have revised both the RHS and LHS, so for my money, I’ve stuck with buying Audi parts.
Despite what a lot of B8 A4 owners claim, replacing, at least the LHS engine mounting on a B8 S4 is a much trickier job which to make it easier, means depressing the lower part of the subframe along with the suspension, to gain access to the LHS mounting, which I suppose makes changing the RHS mounting easier. A 4 wheel re-alignment is needed after doing that.

Hum, now not possible to edit my posting less than 24 hours later, why is that? Progress?

I meant to write "lesser B8 A4" and not "lesser B8 S4", with regards to which models Lemforder provide engine mountings for.

Out of interest rum4mo what is the cost of genuine B8 engine mount kit for S4. Seems like a job and a half if you need to loosen subframe, and probably a 2-post lift job, and you have tracking cost on top of that.

Regards edit facility, most forums lock you out of the source post about an hour after submitting, never mind 24 hours!

Spartacus 68, make sure that you are sitting down!

The individual engine mounts, which are 8R0 199 381 AD and 8R0 199 381 AE were £304.20 each, the mounting plates 8K0 399 059 A and 8K0 399 060 were £29.65 each, so the total parts bill - and I also bought in all 5 bolts associated with each mounting - came to £702.60.

Now, okay my RHS mounting was, as far as I know, just leaking fluid, so I reckon that replacing the mounting plates might not have been needed - ie the mounting(s) had not collapsed and the mounting plates are the final part that the sheared mounting ends up resting on, so would/could end up being damaged, but before my VW Group Indie handed the "required parts list" they had made up to me after TPS could not at the moment, supply the RHS mounting as it was out of stock at Audi Germany, I had already decided that I would have replaced these mounting plates as well as all the bolts - and that VW Group Indie had included mounting plates but no bolts!

So now, I plan to buy in and replace all 8 subframe securing bolts and all 6 lower brace securing bolts as all of them are torque to yield settings according to Audi workshop manual, and Audi recommend "replace". Other bolt I'll probably replace is the steering column clamping bolt - okay cleaning it up and its threaded hole and applying Loctite would probably be good enough, but while I'm at it I'll probably include replacing that bolt, again as Audi recommend.
ARB drop link bolts are not so critical and maybe it will be time to "refresh" all the rubber bits anyway after 13 years in use.

The reason why this becomes such a big job, if done correctly, on the S4 and maybe some other V6 cars is, the oil cooler gets in the way when working on the LHS engine mounting, and on the S4, the AC compressor seems to have, due to space restraints, rigid metal piping for the final pipe runs to the AC compressor, so that means while the oil cooler can get left connected to the coolant system, and just tied up up of the way, the AC system must get de-gassed and the compressor removed completely from the car. Plus, it seems that dropping the subframe is a very good idea if working on both sides.

A 4 wheel re-alignment was included in the 4 hours labour.

Yes, so my car had a very good Christmas, I was amazed or at least initially prepared for this job's total cost to be 50% parts and 50% labour - as it would be if Audi had been given this task!

It is really annoying that the Audi supplier of these engine mountings, Lemsforder do not provide correct parts to the after market, as they do for lesser B8 A4, that would have kept the cost down a lot, ie roughly £100 each instead of £300 each!
Curiously, or something, the Lithuania based seller of VW Group parts, changes £258 each roughly for this version of these engine mountings - but £48 each roughly for the mounting plates!
Finally, sadly my local VW Group Indie, while happy to fit Lemforder or another brand of aftermarket parts, does not seem to want to fit Meyle parts, but that might just be down to Meyle not being available from the motor factors they have accounts with.

Edit:- for me, doing this job myself sort of turned from being possible to being tricky due to me needing to buy/rent a suitable sized/rated engine top support, lifting the car up high enough and then have a means to support the lowered subframe while leaving enough space to work on the car - maybe a cop out on my part, but I ended up reckoning that this was a job for a workshop that did have suitable engine top support, 4 poster lift and something like trans jacks to support the dropped subframe. Even that establish VW Group Indie needed to buy in some tool(s) etc before tackling this job.

Last edited:
Reactions: spartacus 68
Just to give my wallet another knock, I've ordered in a set of subframe bolts, lower brace bolts, and a steering column bolt - total cost £72.06.

So it seems that the main reason that some/all workshops do not just replace "torque to yield" bolts, is because they add quite a bit to the customer's bill!

I should also say that it is not only VW Group Indies that work like that, when my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI was handed in, just within warranty, to sort out "kind of trans shunt/rubbery clunk", when they removed and greased the gearbox mounting, as per VW's "first step" to address this known problem, when I demanded to be given a copy of the job sheet/bill to VW warranty, it did include a new set of bolts, again "torque to yield - replace", but when it was submitted a 2nd time and they applied VW's "second step" which was to replace the gearbox mounting with the version for the TDI, the job sheet/bill to VW only quoted a new mounting and labour - so it looked a lot like "torque to yield" must always get replaced, but only once - funny old world?
Plus, that car, probably due to that VW new car warranty work/investigation, "lost" the head of one of its subframe securing bolts, a few years later - not coincidence I'd think, but probably due to re-using a set of "torque to yield" bolts when replacing a lower arm that had a torn mounting, during the initial investigation. So after having that happen to me, I feel justified in replacing these subframe securing bolts on my B8 S4 now that the original ones have been refitted by my VW Group Indie.