Help recognising strange (idle) engine noise (A3 8P 1.4 tfsi)

cmdv

Reaction score
Hi, having being a bit of a lurker to find numerous answers to some previous problems. I seem to have come a little stumped on this one.

I get a strange ticking/clicking noise once the engine has warmed up and is idle. The noise disappears when I rev the engine (even the tiniest bit). It can be heard from within the cabin. There are no errors showing on dashboard or VAG codes, which makes it feel even stranger.

I've attached a video of the noise to see if someone can help me if they recognise the noise. Having looked around the engine numerous times I still can't fully pinpoint where the noise is coming for. So in the video I tried to move the camera around the engine but still unsure when I watch it again. When in the cabin it feels like it's coming from the right side above the steering wheel (right hand drive).

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

Auto? I was initially thinking of it as DMF but having listened to again it sounds more like cam chain tensioner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks Tashfeen, no it is manual. Ah damn I was hopping it wouldn't be that as that sounds like a right job/costly to get fixed :(

Does the cam chain sit on the right hand side of the engine when looking on?

Last edited:
should add this has only done 43k so seems odd that it would be the tensioner already

I have a 2.0T DSG and it makes the same noise. Apparently it’s normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure @maxpayne, it didn't make that noise before, not related but I don't rag the car so feels odd for something like that to happen so soon.
@Tashfeen I watched that video and it mentioned that the noise carried through as the engine was revved.

Also the noise isn't there from a cold start and only appears after then engine has warmed up (5-10 mins) but maybe that has nothing to do with it.

Am I right in thinking that the cam chain is located on the right handside of the engine? (opposite side of the belt)

I'll try to pin point listen then as right now I'm still trying to work out where it's coming from.

Will take it into a garage when I get back but being I bought this second hand 2 months ago am pretty gutted as it ran real smooth with zero problems prior to this. Would something like this also show up as an error on dashboard or fault code (as when I plugged it in it had no errors at all)?

Last edited:
Totally forgot to resolve this as I actually found the issue in case anyone has this!!

So got the water pump replaced and it seem to fix it for an afternoon!! Then noise straight back haha

So did more investigating and took the car up and had a look under to pin pony the noise and it seemed to come from the Nader the plastic covers, so took those off and behold you could hear the noise really clearly. There is a metal tubing that a fuel line sits inside of and it would rattle like crazy in there!! There is a little cut out in the tubing and I managed to get a zip tie in there and tighten the fuel line to stop it moving around loads thus stop it rattling.

So there you go, go great advice from an approved Audi garage to replace my water pump and it was a rattling fuel line haha

Hope this can help others who might come across similar noise/issue :)

Reactions: ssseif
Fantastic find :thumbs up:
Did you go back to the Audi dealer and ask for the original water pump to be put back and a refund.

@SootySport well I got it diagnosed and managed to get the car dealer I got it from replace the water pump. Came with 3 month warranty but thought that I'd have no chance on getting anything out of them, but they agreed to do it!! When it it didn't fix it I decided to take it upon my self to properly investigate rather than trusting trained mechanics!! haha, moral of the story is no cash came out of my pocket only the time to research and the annoyance of my first car having an issue. But have since upgraded it to an S4 B8.5 Avant with 28k on the clock so really pleased on with that choice :)