Shaking between 60-70mph

Pasteurised

Reaction score
Hey guys, S3 8L, had this symptom since i bought the car nearly 3 years ago.

Between 60 and 70 mph, in any gear, and out of gear coasting, the can shakes.
Tyres have been replaced twice in this time with no change.
About a year ago i changed the front passenger outer CV as the boot had come off and it started clicking, but that never made any difference.

Any idea what i could be?

Sounds like a wheel balance issue unless you have a badly buckled wheel. I would get all 4 wheels rebalanced properly.

As above probably buckled wheels. You can balance a buckled wheel and it will appear to balance OK but you are essentially driving on a rim thats not round but has flats on it. Worst wheels for this are larger wheels with low profile tyres , especially if the wheels are aftermarket items. Easy way to prove it is to try and swap wheels from another car onto yours.

Also check that the bolts that hold the drive shaft to the transfer box are tight. After I replaced the semi slicks my car came with with normal road tires the car started to shake/vibrate at random, mostly higher speeds.

One day it was so bad I thought maybe the CV on the passenger side shaft was going to break, I had to drive home from work in 2nd gear. That was on a Friday, on the Monday I got in the car to take it to get the CV replaced and I could drive it with no shaking/vibrating at any speed.

Not necessarily the same issues but worth checking

That reminds me if you have spacers are they hubcentric, do you have the correct spigot rings on the wheels if they are after market.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Wheels have been balanced all round twice when the tyres were changed.
Wheels are genuine RSTT's I do have spacers, but the issue was present before the were fitted.

I'm going to get the car in the air and check the front to rear driveshaft, and ill see if i can borrow/buy some wheels to test.

Please update this thread, I am chasing a similar issue, I thought it was my oettinger rims being buckled but I will try and remove my wheel spacers....

I have also changed a driveshaft