ESP + Snow

Pasteurised

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a quick question.

Is it normal for the car to make a misfire type noise when the ESP kicks in when pulling away in heavy snow?

It's a brrr brrr kind of noise lol

Turn it off. . TCS, ESP etc are next to useless in the snow .. I believe it even says to turn it off in the handbook

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3 Hilife
It does make a noise, I usually turn it off in heavy snow TBH, nothing worse than it cutting the power just when you want to 'brute force' it up a hill!

Reactions: Tj 0785
ok thanks guys, dont suppose there is a way to turn off traction control but leave stability control on? i have vcds

Don't turn off stability control, that's a really clever gizmo, the car can apply individual brakes to help get you out of sticky situation, there should be a button on the dash for TC or ESC (same thing), that system only cuts power when you get acceleration induced wheelspin - just push it :)

Yeah that's why I asked, I want stability control on, but traction control off. So the wheels can spin but the car doesn't lol.

I turn ESP off every time I get in the car, not needed :rock:

Reactions: killfame, hydro s3, S3 Hilife and 1 other person
Self Study PDF on ESP...
http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_204.pdf

I coded ESP out... it would come in like a steam train if I pulled out of a junction a bit quickly and cut power leaving me potentially vulnerable to oncoming traffic... was even worse when I had the GT30 and so I would religiously turn off ESP every time I started the car... eventually got annoyed with the ESP light being on and occasionally forgetting to switch it off as I drive a different car in the week so I coded it out... ESP is not something I miss at all...

Coding out ESP also appears to remove the traction control part too which tbh lack of traction other than in the wet is not something I suffer from even with my level of power... I just use my foot to control that :)

A decent handling setup would negate some of the other 'advantages' ESP offered up tbh... ESP is not anywhere like the active yaw control seen on EVO's...

I think it works fine on std cars but not so much on tuned cars in my experience... I never posted the details as while coding out ESP suited my needs it may not be everyone and we all know how people can abuse info like that as after all you are essentially disabling a 'safety' feature of the standard car...

I am a little beyond worrying about 'safety' features at this stage so not a problem for me lol

<tuffty/>

Reactions: hydro s3
I remember I left the ESP on once when on a track day at Croft, nearly killed myself coming out a corner I planted my foot and nothing happened!
Brown boxers situation frantically mid corner reaching for the button while keeping the accelerator pinned ha ha

Yeah it's a shame they didnt separate the two functions. On my dads old honda you pressed the button to disable traction control, and held it to disable stability control

@<tuffty/> how did you code your ESP out? I remember reading about it in your thread but can’t remember if you’d explained how to do it. I’d like to do the same thing if possible as it’s too easy to forget to turn it off and also to save wear on the button

There's some codes for the 8N TT ESP delete here.
http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1278786
Wouldn't be surprised if they are the same on the S3.
On my list of things to do with the TT before it gets on track.
From the numbers quoted on the thread it appears to disable ESP take 2048 off the current coding value.
I would probably leave EDL on, helps with traction but probably more relevant to a FWD car.

Reactions: S3 Hilife
My old c200 had seperate buttons for TC and BAS. #oldskool