Radiator fan and ac fan not working

Rustler burger

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 53 reg 2.0 fsi A3. I’m after some information on how to diagnose why my fans dont come on when they should.

They dont come on when the engine gets hot ie the car will over heat. They also dont come on when I switch air con on (turn off economy mode) air con will work tho but will turn it self off after awhile (turning on economy mode) I then cant turn it off again, without restarting the engine.

I tried testing for a 12volt feed at the plug for the radiator fans but found nothing.

I have connected a 12volt feed straight from the battery to the connector plug at the fans and they both worked. So does that rule out the fan control module as this is behind the fan? And put it down to a wiring issue?

Any help appreciated!!

Russell

By what you have tried it does seem to be the 12v supply wire. Change the fuse even if it seems to be ok, check the fuse socket is not loose or damaged. Next would be to trace the wire from the fuse to the fan switch, not easy, there will be one or two loom plugs on the way, unplug them and check pins haven't dislodged or gone black, plug back in and see if fans work again.

Sorry it’s taken so long to reply weathers been terrible here.

So I checked the fuses, f54 looked a bit black I checked it on a multimeter and it seemed to be okay but I changed it anyways. I found that after I took f3 off that it had blown so I changed that too.

I then tried the fans and still nothing so I followed the wires all seemed to be okay apart from at the plug near the bottom of the fans. I couldnt get a reading off the multimeter here so I spliced the ground wire and the copper inside was black. So I'm guessing they’ve had it.

Any ideas where I can get these wires from. I had a look on ebay but I’m guessing I’m gonna have to ring Audi and see what they can do. I also think I’ll change the fan control module as that then comes with the wires to the first connector block. Then all I think I need is the wires up to the fuse box and wherever it grounds too. I didnt see any other connectors.