Help Please Mid box delete

Midbox delete or backbox change s4

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chipmunk73

Reaction score
Wondering if delete mid box in favour of an xpipe. Or option of changing back boxes as a cheap alternative to full exhaust system. I just want my s4 sound a bit deeper in lower gears and lower revs as i dont get to open up much.. then again i dont want it making me sound like a boy racer in a ricer 2015 stage 1

Has anyone changed there stock exhaust on s4 recently could give me some info .. if ive posted in wrong thread please help :) newb needing info thx

@chop did a bit of experimenting with box deletes etc,maybe he would be able to shed some light on it for you

Reactions: Chipmunk73
Hi mate

So depends what your after really

Keep in mind if you have an auto like me anything you do removing boxes etc is gona increase the drone around 60-80 where it’s at its loudest if you’ve got a man i think it’s easier controlled with the gears

assuming the system is the same on your 2015 as my 2009 if your just after a bit more sound but don’t want to be too antisocial you can get the small silencers in front of the centre box removed this was the first thing i did and it did make a noticeable difference

After that I ran without back boxes for a while but still with the standard centre box this gave a lot more noise but was more raspy sound than what I have now and again more drone

Then I went for the custom cat back system I have which only has two small rear boxes and nothing else, it’s loud and very antisocial at any speed

Removing the centre box for an xpipe deff gives the best tone in my opinion a nice deep V6 rumble but it is also the worst for done when at speed

Reactions: scotty76, RS5 JON, xpoweruk and 1 other person
Hi mate

So depends what your after really

Keep in mind if you have an auto like me anything you do removing boxes etc is gona increase the drone around 60-80 where it’s at its loudest if you’ve got a man i think it’s easier controlled with the gears

assuming the system is the same on your 2015 as my 2009 if your just after a bit more sound but don’t want to be too antisocial you can get the small silencers in front of the centre box removed this was the first thing i did and it did make a noticeable difference

After that I ran without back boxes for a while but still with the standard centre box this gave a lot more noise but was more raspy sound than what I have now and again more drone

Then I went for the custom cat back system I have which only has two small rear boxes and nothing else, it’s loud and very antisocial at any speed

Removing the centre box for an xpipe deff gives the best tone in my opinion a nice deep V6 rumble but it is also the worst for done when at speed
Thanks for taking the time get back to me;) ive got a bloke om standby in leeds was recommended on site Tonybanks.co.uk exhaust fabricator in leeds an hour from me.. he offered to delete mid box and put xpipe in 300 or 2 new back box with choice of tips for 450 was gonna keep the stock look and do xpipe but heard a lot about it causing a drone bit like having a window down which sounds a nightmare to live with.. he said he can make the back boxes as loud/quiet as i like .. all work done there and then in a 3 hour window.. most of my driving is town and built up. So want something comfortable day to day but deeper/louder than stock.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chop.
No problem mate

Yeh I’d say straight through rear boxes is prob your best bet if your wanting to keep the drone at a minimum

No problem mate

Yeh I’d say straight through rear boxes is prob your best bet if your wanting to keep the drone at a minimum
Thanks chop i think ill go for the back box option ill keep you posted.

Reactions: Chop.
Tony Banks is great, however please be aware that the back boxes are also resonators (Helmholtz).
No amount of packing will stop the drone.
I know because I tried!

Attachments

• S4 Back Box.jpeg
    S4 Back Box.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 243
Reactions: xpoweruk
Who wants a quiet car anyway :smilingimp:

Reactions: Chipmunk73 and xpoweruk
Lol really am confused as to what to do now .. i go see rick@unicorn tommorrow maybe he can advise me once i explain my needs and reservations

Reactions: Chop. and xpoweruk
It’s a tricky one really depends how loud you want to go, removal of any of the boxes is gona increase the sound bit with that comes drone

The only way I would see round it would be to get a full custom system but keep plenty boxes on it etc or buy a full named system where There’s development went into the acoustics and it’s not just been chucked together

All a bit expensive if your just after a little bit of noise but I think as soon as you start removing boxes and fitting xpipes etc it’s hit or miss there’s a lot off people on here have had xpipes and shortly after removes them cause of the noise

Or you could just be like me and make yourself a headache machine

From what your saying the front 2 silencers wouldn’t be a bad choice for a little bit more grunt but still bearable day to day and it’s easy fixed if you don’t like it

Reactions: Chop. and Chipmunk73
I would go for the BCS Boxes........ https://www.powervalve.co.uk/produc...-silencers-choice-of-trims-sports-system.html
They are "properly" made and tuned internally.
Best compromise IMO if you must have more noise but acceptable drone

Rick did my Tune...............Highly Recommended!
Ill see if rick can order in and fit at a price. I noticed a lot of exhaust tips measure 90mm and they are 80mm if i change back boxes ill have to go with black tips will look nice as car got a few black re spray jobs

I've got a silenced x pipe replacing the middle silencer and rear box deletes. It's loud and drones at certain speeds, but it's personal preference, I like loud as it's not used every day

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chipmunk73
Ecactly Ginge each to there own i guess.. BCS do some v nice tips to finish. If the x pipe is silenced does that reduce power slightly?

Ecactly Ginge each to there own i guess.. BCS do some v nice tips to finish. If the x pipe is silenced does that reduce power slightly?
Doesn't look like it, made good power before the map with it and after the remap m8.
d69816224079dc6698394f2b0184bf38.jpg

Nice result stage 1.. what map u use?.. you pulled 353 with just x pipes and intake wow .. what intake (injen? What map u run mate?

Nice result stage 1.. what map u use?.. you pulled 353 with just x pipes and intake wow .. what intake (injen? What map u run mate?
Custom Pro remap from The performance centre. I made the intake using a ram air filter m8.