Heater Matrix replacement - how to?

Jordan427

Reaction score
I suspect I've a blocked heater matrix, which was causing leaks during winter. Passenger footwell had water with a bitter taste of antifreeze.

Question is how easy is it to replace the heater matrix on an A3 8P? Some say the whole dash needs to come out, others say you can access it from the passenger side (remove glovebox and centre console).

Any guides out there or any tips? I've searched but not much comes up really! When disconnecting the pipes into the matrix does coolant gush out? Or just a bit as it's not under pressure?

Thanks!

Just before you start taking it all to bits, antifreeze often has a sort of sweet taste! Was your coolant level going down?

We had a similar leak on our TT and it was blocked drains in the plenum chamber below the window wipers and the rainwater built up and found its way in through gaps that would not normally be exposed to water. Water seeping past carpets etc could pick up a strange taste.

Just before you start taking it all to bits, antifreeze often has a sort of sweet taste! Was your coolant level going down?

We had a similar leak on our TT and it was blocked drains in the plenum chamber below the window wipers and the rainwater built up and found its way in through gaps that would not normally be exposed to water. Water seeping past carpets etc could pick up a strange taste.

The problem happened middle of last winter, i assumed either sunroof drain or plenum chamber was blocked, I cleared both, but the water lingered for weeks/months, as it never got chance to dry out. The car is now finally dry, but was still damp a week or two ago and the taste was the same as the G13 coolant. If the job is easy to do I'd rather just replace the matrix before winter comes. I remember I removed the glovebox earlier this year and the foam padding at the back was soaking wet.