A3 8P driver's door electrics

timmyb12

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 2010 A3 8P with an issue with my driver's side door electrics. Driver's door doesn't lock, can't operate the driver or passenger window from the control and the mirrors don't work. What could be the problem??

tia

It’s most likely the door harness is split, ensure you have some solder and heat shrink and join the spilt cables together and it will help prevent it spilting it again.

To check, open the door you’ll see a piece of rubber from your door going into your car, remove the rubber from the car side and pull it towards the door and check the condition of the wires.

Firstly if you can get car scanned do that as it should show you fault codes.
Car not locking assuming it is by key fob change battery , for the other take doorcard off and check all plugs are connected correctly to connectors , check wires for any breaks

I also think it will be a break in a wire somewhere but you might need to check all fuses as it does seem strange that all of the single door/mirror electrics have gone.
Failing that you will have to take the door card off and check the wiring and connectors as said above. Don't forget that if you disconnect the yellow connector (airbag) you will probably need to get it fault code cleared or the dash light will stay on, best to not disturb it unless you really have to.
Let us know how you get on and if you need any further info to assist.

Have you had water pour in over the switches from an open window in the rain ? I know the a3's are really prone to this as are golfs, know this from experience. Also the wires could be broken inside the insulation. As above get a scan and check codes.

Given the number of unconnected electrical items that have failed in the same door, I would be happy to put a £100 bet on broken wire(s) in the door loom.

Reactions: xkieron99x and ch1z64
Hi. I have a 2010 A3 8P with an issue with my driver's side door electrics. Driver's door doesn't lock, can't operate the driver or passenger window from the control and the mirrors don't work. What could be the problem??

tia
Hi Timmyb Did you get to the bottom of this? I have exactly the same fault . Everyone says it's a broken wiring loom but mine if ....like new. I've had the issue in the past but it then came back to life. My feeling is poor earthing or water ingress. I 've removed the door card checked/cleaned and refitted all connection blocks. I just don't get why nothing on the drivers door electrics is working. It surely has to be a common earth or module? Just wondered if you cracked the problem?