Clutch judder

o_dungey

Reaction score
Anyone experienced clutch judder? My cars started to judder in first and reverse especially also when I first start it with the clutch in you can feel a slight vibration/ grind through the pedal. Is my clutch on its way out?

Cheers

When I had it on a Mk 4 Golf, it was on the way out. You then tend to slip it more to avoid the judder and eventually it makes things worse.
If it is stripped down it needs the cause investigating as you don’t want it happening again. Maybe it is a cheap unit that has been fitted. Check oil is not leaking from the crank shaft oil seal when it is stripped down.

Reactions: o_dungey
When I had it on a Mk 4 Golf, it was on the way out. You then tend to slip it more to avoid the judder and eventually it makes things worse.
If it is stripped down it needs the cause investigating as you don’t want it happening again. Maybe it is a cheap unit that has been fitted. Check oil is not leaking from the crank shaft oil seal when it is stripped down.
Since getting it home I can hear a loud tapping noise so I think my flywheel has gone :confusion:

The first signs of anything wrong with my clutch a few months ago (car was at 173K) was a noise audible when depressing the clutch when reversing up my drive , the rest of the time it was OK.
I decided to get a garage do the job and they whipped everything out , decreed that the DMF had gone and that it had also damaged the main crank oil seal.
So, one oil seal and complete LUK clutch kit (inc DMF) later the car was back with me and smoother than ever, the factory installed assembly was also LUK.
I reckon the DMF had been failing slowly for years , when I bought the car (at just over 110K miles) it really didn’t like 3rd gear at 1400 rpm, there’d be a nasty judder and I always had to change a gear to avoid it .
With new clutch & DMF it’s totally gone .

Reactions: o_dungey
The first signs of anything wrong with my clutch a few months ago (car was at 173K) was a noise audible when depressing the clutch when reversing up my drive , the rest of the time it was OK.
I decided to get a garage do the job and they whipped everything out , decreed that the DMF had gone and that it had also damaged the main crank oil seal.
So, one oil seal and complete LUK clutch kit (inc DMF) later the car was back with me and smoother than ever, the factory installed assembly was also LUK.
I reckon the DMF had been failing slowly for years , when I bought the car (at just over 110K miles) it really didn’t like 3rd gear at 1400 rpm, there’d be a nasty judder and I always had to change a gear to avoid it .
With new clutch & DMF it’s totally gone .
Yeah I think you're right as the gear changes have never been the smoothest in the lower gears but I put it down to the gearbox mount. Having since changed it, it was still doing it and now my flywheel has gone so I'm sure it has been on its way out for a while as you said.