8P Board computer upgrade

ivanp

Reaction score
Hello
I'm looking to change the instrument cluster of my 8P 2004, which is 8p0 920 930 c with a one that has a board computer. The steering wheel module is 8P0 953 549.
I found an instrument cluster with a computer and a windscreen wiper switch from a scrapped car, but that car is a right-hand-drive one and mine is a left-hand-drive. The engine of both cars is the same. I don't know the exact number of the instrument cluster of the scrapped car.

This is what the scrapped car looks like:
1.png

2.png

This dash has miles while mine is written in kilometers. This is what mine looks like:
3.png

Will this swap work?

Mine was the same dash all I added was the new trip stalk, it's got a button underneath and a rocker switch at the end. You need a repair wire from one of the dash pins to earth, guides all over the net

Oh, and vcds coding is needed to add the stalk

I know that I need vcds coding. I'm worried that the new cluster might be some specific model that's not compatible with the steering wheel module or some other part of my car that I don't know about. That the stalk might not work with this wheel module. That with all of the coding it just wouldn't work on my car.
Also, that car is a 4-door while mine is a 2-door. If that makes a difference.

I know that I need vcds coding. I'm worried that the new cluster might be some specific model that's not compatible with the steering wheel module or some other part of my car that I don't know about. That the stalk might not work with this wheel module. That with all of the coding it just wouldn't work on my car.
Also, that car is a 4-door while mine is a 2-door. If that makes a difference.

Doesn't make a difference.

The stalk doesn't "talk" with your cluster. It talks to the "steuergerät". The cluster will fit and work.
Why not upgrade to a new cluster with DIS? @NHN can help you with that.. He does it for a living, worth a read; https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/09-white-cluster-dis-fitted-to-04-8p.220531/

What do you mean, I don't need a cluster? My current cluster looks something like this:
Audi_A3_instruments.JPG

If everything is OK there is nothing on the screen in the middle.

Doesn't make a difference.

The stalk doesn't "talk" with your cluster. It talks to the "steuergerät". The cluster will fit and work.
Why not upgrade to a new cluster with DIS? @NHN can help you with that.. He does it for a living, worth a read; https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/09-white-cluster-dis-fitted-to-04-8p.220531/
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think that FIS will be more than enough for me. I just need a bit more information that just a light that tells me that my hood is open.

What do you mean, I don't need a cluster? My current cluster looks something like this:
Audi_A3_instruments.JPG

If everything is OK there is nothing on the screen in the middle.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think that FIS will be more than enough for me. I just need a bit more information that just a light that tells me that my hood is open.

I personally never did the retrofit, but I did alot of others, I honestly think you need to check if you're CAN gateway supports the FIS information. I mean, your ECU needs to send data to your cluster. Therefore it needs cables, I'm not sure if it can go over the existing CAN cables you have there now.

Ahh sorry thought you had the top one, yeah you need it and make sure if a scrapped car it's been sorted properly as if it isn't my first one couldn't be paired

Sorted in what way?

I've heard that the FIS checks the water in the windscreen wipers, which is not supported by cars before 2005 like mine. I don't have some sensor in the tank, so I would need to change it or shorten some pins in order not to get an error.

So, I need to check my CAN module also? Can I get the module from the scrapped car if mine won't work?

Sorted in what way?

I've heard that the FIS checks the water in the windscreen wipers, which is not supported by cars before 2005 like mine. I don't have some sensor in the tank, so I would need to change it or shorten some pins in order not to get an error.

So, I need to check my CAN module also? Can I get the module from the scrapped car if mine won't work?

You sure can, but because you have a "stripped down" version of A3 (I mean your A3 won't have many options I reckon) I guess you prob have a low or midline module. This means that the ECU won't support as many options as it can't handle the binary codes.

It's not that you can just put a part on your car and expect everything to work with it, I wish it was that easy :D.

Again, I'm personally not known in this retrofit so I can get it all wrong. But with the experience of retrofits I do have I honestly think those extra lines of text on your dash aren't worth spending that money on a '04 A3 mate. Because in a worst case scenario you need a; CAN gateway, ECU, dash, new connectors, pull wires and repin connectors just for the mileage and time on your FIS, right?

I would just go all the way with the new DIS or just get yourself a new A3 :p.

This one is a new A3 for me.
I swapped my steering wheel module with a better one when I added cruise control, so I'm sure that it can handle the FIS.
I'm not sure about the CAN gateway tho.

The immobilizer broke and on this car it's inside the dash, so I definitely need to swap it. It's not just some retrofit, just because I want to look better. It's mandatory. That's why I'm not looking for DIS. Right now the car isn't moving anywhere, because of it and I need a new dash. I decided, if I need a new one why not be one with FIS. I just want some more indication like "You need to change your oil in xx miles", "There is a problem in xxx", something ike that, because right now I don't know if the computer wants something or it wants to warn me about something.
I don't want the full package. Right now I just need a dash with FIS, so I can get my car working again and after that I'll worry about some additional sensors that aren't displayed on the FIS, because I don't have them.
The main question in this situation is, will it get the car moving.

Not without being paired to your car with special tools like, odis. I Don't know the exact terminology for what I said before but if it isn't done the dash can't be paired.

I have a friend that can do all the coding. I just need to provide the parts, so I need to know if they would be compatible.

New cluster needed, if you go white or a red later version of yours with dis, you'll need a fuel lift pump upgrade to suit also & the extra wire to the cluster.

Gateway should be fine, just immo & mileage correction.

If you wanted the advanced comfort menus, central electrics would be needed upgrade, which should also be ok with gateway.

Reactions: ivanp
I got the model of the new dash.
8P0 920 981 A

The fuel lift pump upgrade is so that I can get a fuel consumption reading, is that correct? Can the car work without this?

Fit the correct pump & wire, why goto this trouble without completing.

Just installed the new dash, but something is wrong :(
At least it starts the car.

Attachments

• IMG-2bc158fa9601675b12e8de79852ac6b1-V.jpg
    IMG-2bc158fa9601675b12e8de79852ac6b1-V.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 401
Just installed the new dash, but something is wrong :(
At least it starts the car.

Are you known with VAGCommander and emptying out an EEPROM and upload a new EEPROM to your dash?
If so, search for an Tacho dump on the web and upload that to your tacho.

Next to that, did you think about the mileage that now has changed since you installed a new dash? Next MOT you'll get issues getting it through. So if you are not known with uploading an EEPROM dump then just let a company do it and let them adjust your mileage to the old dash. Bring your old dash, they will make a "backup" and dump it onto your new dash.

A friend of mine is doing the coding. So, he should download the tacho dump from my old dash and upload it to the new dash?
The MOT in my country isn't that strict. They don't care about the mileage, so that's not important.

How exactly did you get it working with the car immo, as in which tool did you use as that looks like corruption to me.

VAGCommander abrites

EEPROM hasn't been flashed. It's the original that's been on this "new" dash. This is what the dash displayed before anything has been programmed onto it. Only the immo data is flashed now, so that the car can start.

Based on your reply, I'd say you have a faulty dash if it showed that without any programming.

On self test all the pixels, indicators and needles are fine. I can try to flash it, but I have to open the dash and program the microcontroller.

I think it's wise to remove the pictures and application name. You know, there are a lot of people reading here who have bad intensions that can be made with this application, just sayin :D.

Ontopic: You can always try to make a dump from your old dash and upload it to your new one..

I will do that, Thanks.
Will the dumps be compatible? The old dash doesn't have a computer.

I will do that, Thanks.
Will the dumps be compatible? The old dash doesn't have a computer.

Not sure, never had some situation like you are in now.
But they match up like 80% and won't work either way. So make a dump of both and just try it.

So, the dash is broken. I got ripped off.
Got another dash and it's fine, except that the fuel instrument isn't working. Turns out I need a new "level meter" (I'm not sure how exactly it's called in english) in the tank.

Can't believe it.
I got the car 4 days ago, after a month in the workshop. New dash, all programmed, new level meter and today the same thing happens as with the old original dash.
This is the reason I replaced the old dash:

Now the same thing happens with the new one.