2005 TFSi 2.0 A3 both radiator fans not coming on at all

doctorevil

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Audi A3 2.0 TFSi Quattro its got 135,000 miles on the clock but has been running fine. On the weekend, queing in traffic I noticed the temp guage hit max and then keep going, I got a coolant warning and then by the time I got out of traffic a load of steam came out from under the bonnet. I lifted the bonnet and there was pink coolant in the expansion tank but some escaped and I had to top it up 500ml after everything cooled down. Later I got home (a shortish drive in light traffic , temp guage didnt go over 90) and witht he car static on the driveway I just let it idle to see what what going on. Eventually it started to over heat and I noticed neither radiator fan came on. I turned the aircon on and neither fan came on at all. So thats probably explains why it over heated in traffic but whats the most likely cause does anyone know please? as far as I can tell there is no sperate fan control moducle on either fan, it looks like a 1 piece unit to replace possibly with in built modules, something like this https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/eis-radiator-fan-213440290

are there any fuses or relays that need checking first or anything else that is preventing both fans from coming on? The fact the aircon doesnt trigger a fan coming on makes me think its probably not the coolant temp sensor. I can't work out which is the fuse for the radiator fans does anyone know which one it is - all/any help much appreciated thanks

thats a photo of my fuse box , from a bit of google research it looks like a 54 fuses type box and I think the cooling fan module fuse is one of the bolted on strip fuses that sits at the front of the fuse box thats next to the battery in the engine bay, I'm hoping this is whats gone and not the whole fan unit. Not 100% sure if thats the one I need as couldnt nail down a 2005 tfsi diagram but F3 is an 80 amp fuse and 2 diagrams had it as cooling fan, will test it when I get back tonight and report back incase this is of any use to anyone else down the line. The good news is after nearly 8 years of ownership I now know where both the fuse boxes in the car are now. The fuse diagram I borrowed from this page it also has some of the fuse box thats at the side of the dash next to the steering wheel fuses listed for A3 8ps too if anyone needs them: https://fuseandrelay.com/audi/a3-8p.html

btw I did search all the forums here and could find anyone who had my exact problem in the past, hope I'm not boring any regulars here..

Attachments

• IMG_0963[1].JPG
    IMG_0963[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0964[1].JPG
    IMG_0964[1].JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 62
  • audia32.jpg
    audia32.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: ahtcap