Headlight wiring help !

mattyboy199

Reaction score
Hi,

My nearside headlight flicks off straight away when the headlights are switched on. The sidelight is out too, is the sidelight powered by the ballast ? If so it's likely that but not had a chance to get under the bonnet yet as only started happening tonight.

TIA

Matt

Hi,

My nearside headlight flicks off straight away when the headlights are switched on. The sidelight is out too, is the sidelight powered by the ballast ? If so it's likely that but not had a chance to get under the bonnet yet as only started happening tonight.

TIA

Matt
Sidelights are just normal 12volt not powered by ballasts

Just took a better look at this the LED sidelight is really dim so needs replacing. Still though I think I have a ballast fault

Reactions: MPH
A simple test swap left to right with the working ballast to determine that issue and I would recommend a set of PHILIPS XTREME VISION 360 LED T10 501 W5W CAR BULBS 6000K for a good replacement had a set in for 4 1/2 years now still going strong!

Yeah I've got a set of Osram night breakers D2S bulbs, only about 5 years old and the car get a Hugh amount of use....I'd be disappointed if its them but will check.

Could do with LED sideligh bulbs to match

Yeah I've got a set of Osram night breakers D2S bulbs, only about 5 years old and the car get a Hugh amount of use....I'd be disappointed if its them but will check.

Could do with LED sideligh bulbs to match
Depending on usage hids have a limited lifespan but the before mentioned leds are a good match keep us informed

Looks like I need a new ballast, finally managed to swap bulbs. From what I can gather part number 5dv 007 760-25.

I assume it doesn't matter if its any other model fitment from this generation

Reactions: MPH
Yes indeed part number looks good
Hella part numbers

• 5DV 007 760-25
  • 5DV 007760-25
  • 5DV007760-25
Audi part numbers

• 8L5941471
Compatibility list

• Audi A3 8L5 S3 8L1 Quattro Hatchback
  • 1.8T Petrol Gasoline
  • 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003

Reactions: mattyboy199
Happy to report these units work ok it's just a shame audi designed the wiring / headlight so badly you either splice wires or cut headlight unit

Reactions: s3mad_dude and MPH
Yeah the original ballasts weren’t designed to be replaced, they wanted you to replace the whole light unit also.

Glad to hear your lights are working again though.

Reactions: mattyboy199 and MPH