Clutch sticking Issue

AndrewW

Reaction score
Hi All!

Sorry for double posting however I figured considering they're the same mechanism I'd try my luck here also.

I'm having a bit of a conundrum with the clutch on my wife's A5 (2010, 2.0 diesel, FWD, Engine CAHA).

A couple of weeks ago I was driving to glasgow and the clutch pedal only returned to around half way up - but the clutch operation was as if the pedal was all the way up, so when i lowered the clutch completely (from half to bottom) the clutch was only half engaged - If you know what I mean. The clutch itself seems to be in great shape, the friction material is still good and no noises/issues other than this. By pulling the clutch all the way up with my foot this seemed to reset the clutch and it worked fine for another few hundred mile however this has happened a couple of times since. Each time pulling the clutch up with my foot seems to reset.

I assumed some kind of hydraulic issue so we've changed both the master and slave cylinder, however the sticking has happened a couple of times again. The only other threads I can find on this suggest one of the master/slave cylinder is at fault.

Now before I have the clutch replaced, is there anything else that could be causing this - the only other part of the clutch hydraulics I can see is a metal part on the upper high pressure pipe - Does anyone know what it is and if it could potentially cause the issues we're seeing? Googled image below:

Thank you!