Audi A3 8L key remote central lock not working..

Mr.Vin

Reaction score
Hi guys, this being my first post on this channel hopefully I can get some assistance.
My key remote stopped working when central locking my car a while ago as I was trying to DIY change the battery. I've been forced to operate using manual lock for central locking since I am yet to find a shop in my location who can re sync my keys, and all the procedures I've googled online none has worked yet.
The other day I realised that the manual central locking is working using the boot lid key hole but it's not functioning using the driver's side door key hole. Where should I start to diagnose where the issue is?
Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Does the S3 have a passenger door lock too?

I have had a problem where the central locking got its knickers in a twist but cannot remember whether it was in my S3 or TT... if it is not working manually from the drivers door it might be related to the wiring in the door jam...

Isn't there a lock / unlock all doors and boot in the cabin? Does that work?

Usually the resynch, is literally press to unlock, then manually unlock the car, which is why for a few weeks before the battery is totally dead, it might need to be manually unlocked in the morning (or the way to work) but still work on the way home... but if there is an issue with the drivers door, then that synch might not work...

Not sure if it's possible to synch the same way using the boot.. eg unlock boot on remote, then manually with the key.. (worth a try) or the passenger door (if there is a key hole)

There is a CCM (comfort control module) which handles this, they do fail but usually from water ingress on the convertible TTs

My A3 does not have a passenger side key lock. It only has the key lock on the driver's side and boot.

The lock/ unlock all doors switch that is inside the cabin, on the driver's side door works okay for locking the doors when inside the car.

After noticing that the boot key lock could central lock the doors, I tried to resync my keys using the suggested steps but that didn't work.

So I guess I'll start with checking the wiring on the driver's door first, then check if the CCM has failed? Will a failure of the CCM show up on VCDS scan?

The comfort control module, is included in VCDS, maybe named something like Cabin....
but if the internal button locks and unlocks, also is the fuel cap locked unlocked? I can't remember..

If you unlock manually with the key, does the alarm go off after about 30 seconds if you don't put the key in the ignition? Eg does the car know the door has even been opened?

Yah, the internal button also locks and unlocks the fuel cap cover as well.
I forgot to mention that my alarm system also stopped working too the same day that my key remote stopped working.

I had this on my 8L S3 i just bought and i just had to re-program the key as per the guidance in the manual. New battery and they a quick and easy procedure involving pressing the lock / unlock when turning the key in the door barrel.

I had this on my 8L S3 i just bought and i just had to re-program the key as per the guidance in the manual. New battery and they a quick and easy procedure involving pressing the lock / unlock when turning the key in the door barrel.
How exactly is the lock/unlock procedure done? Can you share the sequence, incase I am doing it wrong.

I have vcds lite which I use to get just a general layman's idea whenever I have an issue with the car. When scanning, I keep getting this error...
00955 09-00 Key 1: Adaptation limit surpassed.
Could this be the cause I am unable to resync the keys?

How exactly is the lock/unlock procedure done? Can you share the sequence, incase I am doing it wrong.

I haven't got the manual but can check tomorrow (away with work at the moment).
From memory you put the key in the driver's door lock, press and hold unlock and turn it once to the right, then press and hold lock button and turn once to the left. Could be the reverse so try both.
Check the battery in the key first!

There's another version where you did this with the key in the ignition barrel but that looks like an A4 B7 so a later car.

My S3 8L worked with the key in the door lock barrel.

My A3 does not have a passenger side key lock. It only has the key lock on the driver's side and boot.

The lock/ unlock all doors switch that is inside the cabin, on the driver's side door works okay for locking the doors when inside the car.

After noticing that the boot key lock could central lock the doors, I tried to resync my keys using the suggested steps but that didn't work.

So I guess I'll start with checking the wiring on the driver's door first, then check if the CCM has failed? Will a failure of the CCM show up on VCDS scan?

hi, i have the exact same problem in my audi a3 8l since i bought it, i have taken it to the dealer and they could not do anything, did you find any solution to the problem??

When my key began to play up recently, sometimes failed to open/close the door I simply replaced the battery and it worked perfectly after that - without doing nothing else.