Differences between B8 and B8.5 and year

quarterbridge

Reaction score
Hello
After reading online I am a little confused about differences between the B8 and B8.5 Audi S4. I read the B8.5 had a flat bottomed steering wheel and a rounder gear shift for auto gearbox but I have seen some 2012/2013 with a rounder auto gear shifter but not flat bottomed steering wheel. Wasnt B8.5 where audi fixed some of the DSG issues and that model is more reliable than the previous? Could anyone help clarify what the differences are between the B8 or B8.5?
I also posted a question in the tuning section but didnt get a reply. I am interested in the S4 or maybe the S5 with the 3.0t. Are all of these engines capable of reaching 400+ bhp as claimed by likes of revo and apr remaps? or are there only certain engines that are capable of this much gain? Also read through some old posts saying the CREC engine was not cracked yet, is this still the case? I think the CREC engine was in 2014+ models.

Can't speak much about engines but on the DSG gearbox front Audi put a revised part in from late 2012 so some late b8s but mostly b8.5s as the facelift came in mostly in 2013.

Round gear knob yes
Flat bottom wheel was optional I think but wasn't available on the pre-facelift.
I think the dials have a curvier silver trim around them
Tail lights have an LED stripe rather than led dots
Headlights have the LED stripe not dots
Obviously bumpers, wings and bonnet all different
Silver elements on window and seat buttons compared to just black on the b8
Drive select went from multi button to single button as I think it runs via can bus not lin bus.
AC unit has new button arrangement and white screen rather than red
MMI unit went to 3g+ from 3g which has nicer screen graphics menu

Probably a few other things but that's all I can think of

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

Hello
After reading online I am a little confused about differences between the B8 and B8.5 Audi S4. I read the B8.5 had a flat bottomed steering wheel and a rounder gear shift for auto gearbox but I have seen some 2012/2013 with a rounder auto gear shifter but not flat bottomed steering wheel. Wasnt B8.5 where audi fixed some of the DSG issues and that model is more reliable than the previous? Could anyone help clarify what the differences are between the B8 or B8.5?
I also posted a question in the tuning section but didnt get a reply. I am interested in the S4 or maybe the S5 with the 3.0t. Are all of these engines capable of reaching 400+ bhp as claimed by likes of revo and apr remaps? or are there only certain engines that are capable of this much gain? Also read through some old posts saying the CREC engine was not cracked yet, is this still the case? I think the CREC engine was in 2014+ models.
The CREC engine was introduced late 2014, and cracked for tuning in 2016/17 or thereabouts. All S4/S5 V6 TFSI engines can be mapped with very impressive gains. Depending which map you go for, 400BHP or thereabouts is achievable with no hardware changes. Go stage two by changing the supercharger pulley, and anything up to around 470BHP is possible. Swapping the crankshaft pulley is an option too, if I remember rightly @Dippy took that route.

Thank you DK and jdp1962. Is there a build code or something to make sure the car has the better gen 2 DSG?

3rd version of the gearbox went into production early 2013. There are many improvements on the CREC engine (obvious by single-piece engine cover and 4 bolts on the supercharger pulley) so that is recommended too.

Thank you DK and jdp1962. Is there a build code or something to make sure the car has the better gen 2 DSG?
Again I could be wrong but my 2010 has part 0B5927156F & 8K0927156J.

A Crec engined 2015 S4 I stuck my obdeleven into recently shows part 0B5927156K & 8K0927166

So the K revision I expect would be a good/revised version.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

Here's a link to more on the CREC engine: