'01 Allroad 2.7 tip overheating

and64

Reaction score
My first post here, did a lot of searching before opening another overheating thread but I'm kind of stuck at the moment.

I recently bought a 2001 Allroad 2.7t tip with bad transmission and 233000 kms on the clock. Price was decent for the overall condition and extras (solar sunroof, recaro leather heated electric seats, 3 spoke steering wheel,xenons, etc)
So the gearbox was changed with a 2nd hand unit , car was given a full service (all the filters, all differentials fluids, spark plugs, oil, new pads and discs + brake fluid, power sttering fluid) and runs great.

Anyway, the remaining issue is engine overheating! Parts replaced so far: water pump, thermostat, coolant temp sensor, 93c after run temp sensor, radiator fan switch, coolant reservoir (all oem), radiator (not oem- it is allroad specific however, triple checked it!), system flushed and bled twice using G12.
After run pump was inspected, all hoses look good, nothing is leaking there.
I tried one of those ebay snif tests for blown headgaskets, showed nothing, a leak down test was also performed, car was left pressurized over night and there was nothing wrong.
It doesn't consume any coolant.

All 3 fans seem to be running ok, mechanical one had a new clutch installed by the previous owner (looks new) and I can clearly hear it as rpms rise, the 2 electric ones kick in with and without a/c on when needed and I can hear them speed up as the temps rise. They also work with the after run pump.

There are no codes on vcds temperature related, I do have codes for egts though and cel light but the car pulls fine.

But, here is the problem: temps are ok during normal driving city or highway, needle stays in the middle (90c) and on climatronic menu I see temps from 93-105c.
If I sit in heavy traffic with a/c on though, or do some pulls/go full throttle on an uphill stretch after a few minutes the needle rises one bar to the right and has the tendency to keep going if I don't get of the power...
Have seen up to 118c on climatronic.

So after all this work temps might climb a bit slower now but it still overheats and I'm really frustrated after all this time and money thrown at it
mad.gif

Any ideas?