Sytec replacement pump

whizz371

Reaction score
Hi All.
I have just bought a sytec 420G replacement pump for my S3. I am sure I saw a guide on fitting it. I have checked the stickies and cant find anything. I have read a few posts about doing it, and it seems quite straight forward. Not sure about disconnecting the primary pump, which I think is connected to the main pump basket ? If any one has a link it would be a big help.
I

Reactions: Ian W
I did it a couple of months ago, it is quite straightforward once the pump is out of the car.

My advice would be, if the car is still driving, run your fuel down as low as possible so you're not splashing around in fuel, mine showed 5 miles on the DIS and still had quite a bit in the tank!

I watched this video on youTube as a guide, it is for a TT but the job is the same.

Be careful with the plastic pipes that connect the pump to the housing, you get two new ones with the Sytec but one of them remain connected. On mine they were very brittle and broke as soon as I tried to manipulate them off - no idea if replacements are readily available but I would guess not.

Reactions: whizz371
Thanks for this , very useful. Unfortunately I have a half tank of fuel, do you know if its possible to drain the tank ?

Thanks for this , very useful. Unfortunately I have a half tank of fuel, do you know if its possible to drain the tank ?

You don't need to, it just means you are working at removal and inserting with a bit more fuel sloshing around.

It really is self explanatory once it is in front of you, my big concern was re-attaching the fuel line from the secondary tank on to the pump inside the tank but it really is quite straight forward when you are doing it.

The most difficult part for me was getting the big rubber ring back on the top when it was done, no idea why but it just did not want to spin on, took me a good ten to fifteen minutes to get it to run nicely on the threads.

Thanks for the replies. I have the pump out now, the only issue I have is that there are two pipes that come with the sytec kit. the small one that connects to the passenger side pump is perfect the larger one that I assume connect from the pump to the top of the basket is the correct dia. but looks far to short, any one any thoughts on this please.

Attachments

• PXL_20230808_160616316.jpg
    PXL_20230808_160616316.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
It is shorter but works fine, if anything it makes it a bit better as it holds it all nice and close together.

All done now. Many thanks to those that answered my questions. The worse bit I found was getting clip holding the cross over pipe back onto the basket. The longer pipe I attached to the top only then got it all back in and then connected it to the pump using a Mikalor clip, I did this because the supplied hose was a lot shorter than the OEM one and held the top very close to the basket and made it difficult to make the connections.

Reactions: Ian W