Replace a (diesel) turbo...any walkthroughs?

Fuppylodders

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to replace my turbo. It's always had an oil leak ever since I had the car.
It's a 2007 170 tdi Brd quattro. When I first bought it, I had the oil pump hex key replaced with the longer version.
It also had an oil leak at the oil feed pipe into the top of the turbo due to what looked like an incorrect washer. Looks like someone had been at the turbo before.

The prior owner also had gutted the dpf, blocked off egr, dpf sensor plug cut off, all the usual stuff for those extra few hps but mot regs back in 2020 changed that and I had to fork out to get that all sorted.

Anyway. After all sorts of various issues (throttle body, timing apparantly being out 1 tooth, TPS failing twice, reversing light switch failing...) I'm currently having another issue. On the odd occasion it idles fine. But if I let it tick over in gear, it has a very rough idle and seems like its hunting, and can also puff out a bit of bluey white smoke. But when I put my foot down to go, it is fine up to 2.5k revs then almost loses any further boost pressure and climbs up the revs like it has no turbo. I managed to remove the injectors, sent them off to be cleaned and flow tested, came back good and put them back in. Set their pump time and it feels more pokey but the flat spot/lack of boost/rough idling is still there.
I'm half thinking it's the turbo on its way out. I'm now also thinking perhaps the inlet pipe from turbo to intercooler might potentially have a leak. Am also wondering if that would cause the rough idle or is that likely the turbo going?

Given its got oil clearly leaking from the turbo, I'm ready to swap it with a replacement (remanufacture-however different that is from refurbed...).

First question is, I'm confused which turbo it's actually meant to have. I thought it was meant to have the one where the exhaust manifold is cast onto the turbo? Except, Ive been sent one that has no exhaust manifold cast onto it. Also, I'm finding lots of pics of the non manifold version when searching for my car info...
Anyone able to shed some light on that?

Also, is there a write up describing how to replace a turbo? I've seen some light info on it, that it can be done on some small ramps (it'll still suck not being on a lift) and that the subframe doesn't have to be dropped-just undo and twist the dpf up or something...

Also, is there anything I need to set up once I've installed it? And should I be replacing anything else while I'm at it? I think I read somewhere to replace the oil feed line...

I'm sorry my post may seem random in its structure... I'm kinda not great at that...

Thanks in advance!

I can't seem to edit my original post... But I realise it's all wordy and structured horribly.

Please disregard the top post, this is the information I seek:

I am going to replace my turbo (with remanufactured) on my 2007 tdi 170 BRD quattro. Are there any walkthroughs of it? I've searched and can't find any of this specific one.

Is there anything that will need setting up after I've done it? Like an actuator or some electronic setting or the N75 valve (that I've seen pop up numerous times mentioned).

I have so far successfully replaced all my injectors, if you needed to grab an understanding of where my capabilities are at (am also a helicopter mechanic, but biiiiig difference-im just a hands on kinda person)

Thank you in advance!

I replaced the turbo on on B8 Allroad, well, when I say I replaced it, a local Indy did it. It was going into limp mode and would reset if the car was switched off and restarted. I scanned with VCDS and it pointed to the actuator. I’m spanner handy, but given it’s a critical component, I trusted the Indy guys, basically fit and forget. given your background, then I suspect you just need a link to instructions.

If you’re swapping out the turbo, then it’s a given that you do the actuator too. It will be part of the replacement turbo and be set at the factory. The fitting kit is critical too, exhaust gasket, ‘o’ rings, etc. Car will need an oil and filter change too. I used Elring kit.

I bought a new Garrett turbo from these guys. The actutor was part and parcel. Not refurbished, but new out of the box. Significantly cheaper than the main dealer for basically exactly the same item. Even if you can buy an actuator, then chances are the vanes on the turbo will have carbon build up, but more importantly the actuator on the turbo is already set up, so one less thing to worry about.

This is new for BRD engine.

You can also buy access to Elsawin to see workshop procedure. From what I gather it works up to 2017 cars. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.

Reactions: Fuppylodders
I replaced the turbo on on B8 Allroad, well, when I say I replaced it, a local Indy did it. It was going into limp mode and would reset if the car was switched off and restarted. I scanned with VCDS and it pointed to the actuator. I’m spanner handy, but given it’s a critical component, I trusted the Indy guys, basically fit and forget. given your background, then I suspect you just need a link to instructions.

If you’re swapping out the turbo, then it’s a given that you do the actuator too. It will be part of the replacement turbo and be set at the factory. The fitting kit is critical too, exhaust gasket, ‘o’ rings, etc. Car will need an oil and filter change too. I used Elring kit.

I bought a new Garrett turbo from these guys. The actutor was part and parcel. Not refurbished, but new out of the box. Significantly cheaper than the main dealer for basically exactly the same item. Even if you can buy an actuator, then chances are the vanes on the turbo will have carbon build up, but more importantly the actuator on the turbo is already set up, so one less thing to worry about.

This is new for BRD engine.

You can also buy access to Elsawin to see workshop procedure. From what I gather it works up to 2017 cars. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.
Thanks for your reply, its appreciated!
I'm just surprised there doesn't seem to be any information on the actual physical job of replacing a turbo...
I guess I'll update my post here with some pics and a bit of explanation for anyone else's future reference.
The turbo I have is as you say, already set up with the actuator etc, and includes everything. I felt inside the intake impellor and there's almost no wobble at all. My current one, there's quite a bit of play so I'm feeling like it's at least a large part of my problems. Well, I best get back to it.

Currently:
have pulled the air filter box out
Disconnected and removed turbo to intercooler pipe.
Disconnected and removed air filter to turbo pipe.
Removed 3 nuts from the DPF/turbo exhaust side.
Removed one nut from the threaded stud attached to the turbo on the exhaust manifold to turbo flange.

Next to do,
Disconnect the egr pipe.
Undo the oil feed and return lines from the middle of the turbo.
Figure out how to remove the remaining 2 nuts/bolts off the turbo to exhaust manifold flange.
Figure out how to pull the turbo out when there are studs holding it to the dpf horizontally while vertically a single stud holding it to the exhaust manifold. So needing to pull it down while the dpf stops it, and pull it horizontally while the exhaust manifold flange stud stops it...