Performance air filters (40 TFSi/TDi)

OptimusPrime

Reaction score
Just curious to know whether anyone has replaced their filters with performance types.

My previous 2.0 Volkswagen diesel I changed over to a performance panel filter and almost immediately noticed better driving all round and a little bit of an improvement on the fuel consumption. It gave me around 30-50 miles extra per tank fill up (roughly estimated).

When I had the emissions fix removed (by remapping) the cars performance produced 151bhp with the performance air filter, which was a notable improvement on the 144bhp according to the manufacturer. Eventually the engine produced 188bhp from a simple engine remap, which gave me an additional 100-150 miles extra per tank fill up (roughly estimated).

Curiosity once again leads me in replacing my OEM Audi air filter on anyones recommendations and feedback.

Tbh OEM filters flow very well & were proved years ago on TDI forum that allot of aftermarket ones were a placebo, I tried a carbonio years ago on my TDI & it was shockingly shxt, OEM flowed muchhhhh better.

Unless you're going full on turbo, exhaust, engine upgrades, you're not going to notice it tbh & rollers are a pinch of salt as one reads different to another.

Tbh OEM filters flow very well & were proved years ago on TDI forum that allot of aftermarket ones were a placebo, I tried a carbonio years ago on my TDI & it was shockingly shxt, OEM flowed muchhhhh better.

Unless you're going full on turbo, exhaust, engine upgrades, you're not going to notice it tbh & rollers are a pinch of salt as one reads different to another.

I think if you go larger, or change the housing yes as you change the atmospheric pressure/air flow turbulence this happened on my Focus RS when fitting a large air filter, made great top end gains but I lost torque and low end power. Subsequently going back to an enclosed intake housing with a smaller air filter worked better.

I was once told in this case was the filter was too big due to the distance between (filter, turbo inlet plenum)?

I guess there is small degree of negative atmospheric pressure in the air intake system due to the restrictive design which in turn creates a better flow of clean air.

I'm thinking something like this

Putting on a aftermarket filter is a good way to damage your turbo compressor wheel. Just stick the stock one.

There is a reason why paper filters (OEM) are replaced periodically. And much to contrary belief, it's not to do with the fact that they get clogged with debris, it's because the paper element begins to degrade and detach from the rubber housing material, in some cases this happens even before they are replaced as part of the maintenance regime.

I've used K&N for both my daily and performance cars for years and plenty of miles on the same filter (noting you do get a life time warranty with them) with not a hint nor concern relating to the compressor wheel from an enclosed induction system with cold air feeds. That's not to say it isn't possible, but is extremely unlikely for an object large enough (grain of rice) to pass through the filter gauze to damage the compressor wheel in one or many instances.

When my turbo went on my Passat, the compressor wheel had no pitting or abrasive marks on it indicating no issue with the proven/high quality foam panel filter (after 63k miles) over the paper OEM. So this is simply not true by most accounts.

My initial question in my post was relating to whether any 'other' notable differences are present. Typically paper/foam filters used by manufacturers because they are cheap and mass produced and are overly restrictive to suit all types of climates and conditions. For example in the UK we do not have frequent heavy-sleet like snow storms, nor do we have overly sand/dust like conditions which is why the paper/foam filters are often favoured. One could argue we do get a lot of plant litter likes leaves during late summer-autumn but this is not small enough to pose any risk of heavy contamination or particle saturation in the filtering element.

Feedback after installing the filter....
I've fitted the K&N filter I've done about 756 miles since installed. it fit correctly into the housing with no size difference to the oem. I haven't noticed any significant improvements to feedback (torque/boost pick up) However when I filled my tank up yesterday i noticed a slight improvement to normal range. My fuel tank range (73ltr) typically used to be around 540-560 miles using (63-68ltr). I filled up yesterday having done 590 using 65ltr of fuel. More testing/fuel usage results to follow.

Last edited: