Garage Swapped My Wheels

8BitWheels

Reaction score
Hello,

Just a quick question please. I took my 2017 FL to have MSP4's all round. Explained to the guy the reason for doing so. He warned me that doing this could trigger the tire pressure monitor and traction control light. Again I reiterated to him peoples position on this forum and that I'm happy for him to proceed. I told him that I'd had this done a few weeks back to another RS3 which solved the TC issue, but I've now returned that car to the dealer.

An hour later when I got back to the garage after having a stroll, he turned to me and said. " I know why you've been seeing an issue with the traction control... Your J9's which are the wider wheels were on the front and the smaller ones were on the back. I've swapped them around for you".

Now I know these come staggered out of the factory, but surely the wider wheels would have been on the front to support the 255's?
Is he wrong? Do RS3's have wider wheels on the front? Should I swap them back around or would it not matter now I've 235's all round.

Thanks

Is he wrong?

Yes he is wrong, the wider wheels are at the front, that is the problem when you get muppets to do work on your car. Get him to check the spec of the car.

In theory if you have the same tyres on all 4 wheels it should not matter what axle the 8.5" are but they should be on the front.

It is why I run square sets, no arguments or misunderstandings and I can rotate and swap wheels as I want.

Finally if it has standard wheels it should have 8J and 8.5J not 9J

Lol and now it will handle like a dog.

Christ almighty all the info is on the door jamb tyre sticker anyway.

Go back and show the tool this.

241caf04c2dc081711aaf8ce587419c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeeze... thanks guys... I'm glad I can come here to arm my self with knowledge. I'll swap them over in the morning. My eldest son is a vehicle technician. He said that it didn't sound right either. He has a torque wrench etc so we can do it properly.

thanks again

Last edited:
Reactions: 8YARWY
Where did you go kwik fit, national tyres or some moron place. I only take my car to people who know what they are doing. my local audi dealer to get robbed or a couple of independents i trust

Where did you go kwik fit, national tyres or some moron place. I only take my car to people who know what they are doing. my local audi dealer to get robbed or a couple of independents i trust
It was a placed called Mr Tyre. I only went there are Black Circles had a discount on 4 x Michelin PS4s's

All sorted now. Got them put back the correct way around.