2017 FL RS3 Questions

Jo308

Reaction score
Thinking of swapping my 2016 PFL, as I really want matrix lights and VC.

Not so keen on keyless entry/engine start button for security reasons. Were these an optional extra or did they appear as part of a factory standard upgrade at some stage?
Can the keyless entry be disabled with OBD connection?

Thanks.

Matrix lights were an option not many had but normal LED were standard. A lot of people say/ advertise Matrix when they are just standard LED. One way to tell if it has Matrix are sweeping indicators at the front (but be careful as not sure if the sweep can be coded) You can also tell by how they look.

I have Matrix and whilst they are good lights they are not a clever as you think they should be and not as good as the more modern hi-res lights. It would not be my main reason for swapping.

Keyless is not easy to programme off as you don't have a key and AFAIK it also disables the start button. It is so easy to disable each time I do it without thinking. Lock with the keyfob, then touch the handle as if locking it keylessly. You will hear a faint second click and that's it, keyless disabled.

Thanks for the info - very helpful. Lights not the only reason for swapping - I also prefer the body style of the front of the car and the steering/handling seems to recognised as better with the lighter engine block.

With the keyless system, how do you unlock the car if the battery is flat?

Yes lots of reasons for swapping, you lose a tiny bit of sound but gain much more. Make sure you get a DAZA if you can. :friendly wink:

There is still a keyhole on the drivers side :icon thumright:

Not like some other VAG cars that leave the bonnet release behind the door you can't open on RHD cars :rage:

Keyless entry and keyless Go (start button) are two different things. Keyless entry can be coded out independently of keyless go.

Wasn't there some downside to coding out the keyless entry? Something else lost IIRC? I thought it took out the start as well but may have been something else.

Maybe this was from before people got to grips with coding it out. Is this VCDS or does it need ODIS?

Touching the handle each time is no big issue for me TBH

Wasn't there some downside to coding out the keyless entry? Something else lost IIRC? I thought it took out the start as well but may have been something else.

Maybe this was from before people got to grips with coding it out. Is this VCDS or does it need ODIS?

Touching the handle each time is no big issue for me TBH
Coding out keyless entry = have to use the key fob button to unlock the car. To start the car you would then need to hold the back of the key against the steering column and press start. Keyless go still works but key detection range is reduced.

Reactions: flybynite
Coding out keyless entry = have to use the key fob button to unlock the car. To start the car you would then need to hold the back of the key against the steering column and press start. Keyless go still works but key detection range is reduced.

Ahh! that was it! I remember a few couldn't start the car after. From the times I have started the cars with a low fob battery the placing of the fob can be a bit pedantic. Not sure it is easier than swiping the handle each time or chucking the keys in a faraday bag.

It is a shame they all don't have the option on the MMI like the later A4 that just disabled keyless unlock, everything else works the same. :shrug:

I just turned the handles off on my old 8V.

Indeed it was me that posted about the turning off of keyless completely and that led to the car asking for the key to be near the ignition area when starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just recently joined club and have been driving a 2017 DAZA for 6 weeks now. And I'm still smiling! I have keyless entry and the Matrix headlights. I really wanted the start button as I love pressing it and listening to that engine start up.... especially on a hot start. I'm not really in a position to comment on the security, but I keep both of my keys in a faraday pouch.. and then they're in a faraday box kept in my bedroom to block the key signal. I also find it really useful when approaching the car with an arm full of stuff after forgetting a bag when I've nipped to the shop.

I wanted Matrix headlights, but I've not had a chance to test my mine yet. They weren't actually advertised on the car I bought; it wasn't until I noticed the front indicators sweeping that I realized I had them. The fact that they do that was enough reason for me to want them. You can also tell you have them as when you push the main beam stick back once ( I think ) the main beam light which is usually blue, turns white and says auto in the middle.

Regarding the noise, make sure you get a sports exhaust!

I just turned the handles off on my old 8V.
Indeed it was me that posted about the turning off of keyless completely and that led to the car asking for the key to be near the ignition area when starting.

Yeah I remember a few people tried it on other VAG forums too and it messed the start up. I think some VAG cars are more difficult to start with just the transponder. I didn't bother trying it. If you had a start key slot it would be no issue but we don't.

I just wondered if someone had found a way to code it to behave like the A4 as that would be ideal. Add an MMI selection like the A4 would be even better but I have never found or heard of a better method than turning the handles off.

You can also tell you have them as when you push the main beam stick back once ( I think ) the main beam light which is usually blue, turns white and says auto in the middle.

No that just means you have Auto high beam, you can have that with Xenon or basic LED lights. Matrix behave differently when in Auto but it is not a way to tell you have Matrix.

The best way is look at the light itself, if you have 4 lenses you have Matrix if you have 3 then you don't.

No that just means you have Auto high beam, you can have that with Xenon or basic LED lights. Matrix behave differently when in Auto but it is not a way to tell you have Matrix.

The best way is look at the light itself, if you have 4 lenses you have Matrix if you have 3 then you don't.
Oh right.. I see.. I read that.. or perhaps mis read that in another post. I have been trying to ascertain whether I had them myself after seeing the sweeping front indicators.
I've just checked and I do have 4 lenses in total.
I presume the matrix element of it is the way how the lenses appear to be a matrix of very small squares when you look up close?

Do you need to activate them? That's what I read in another post.. or are they just on.
thanks

I presume the matrix element of it is the way how the lenses appear to be a matrix of very small squares when you look up close?

No, as I said at the start they are 1st gen matrix and not that clever. Newer cars have headlights with like 1.3 mega pixels. The RS3 has 6 pixels in total ! (3 each side) The small squares you see are not led pixels that is just the diffuser lens in front of each of the single LEDs

Do you need to activate them? That's what I read in another post.. or are they just on.

When you put the headlights into Auto you get Matrix function and it switches off one or more of the 6 LEDs. Cars without Matrix just switch off the high beam lamp or LED when in Auto.

Don't get me wrong they do work and they are worth having but they are not that clever and I find you do get flashed a bit but probably no more than standard Auto headlights on my other car.

No, as I said at the start they are 1st gen matrix and not that clever. Newer cars have headlights with like 1.3 mega pixels. The RS3 has 6 pixels in total ! (3 each side) The small squares you see are not led pixels that is just the diffuser lens in front of each of the single LEDs

When you put the headlights into Auto you get Matrix function and it switches off one or more of the 6 LEDs. Cars without Matrix just switch off the high beam lamp or LED when in Auto.

Don't get me wrong they do work and they are worth having but they are not that clever and I find you do get flashed a bit but probably no more than standard Auto headlights on my other car.
Ok.. thanks for the info...good to know!

Thinking of swapping my 2016 PFL, as I really want matrix lights and VC.

Not so keen on keyless entry/engine start button for security reasons. Were these an optional extra or did they appear as part of a factory standard upgrade at some stage?
Can the keyless entry be disabled with OBD connection?

Thanks.
Keyless entry was standard on 2017 onward fl rs3 cars.

It was an option on 2014 onward S3 cars, think it was standard on 2017 onward cars.

Never been flashed or have an issue with Matrix lights. They are pretty clever, effectively feels like full beam is on permanently and lights up the whole road - they (on my 2017 RS3) are a million times better than the LED lights on my 2014 S3 (which when in auto mode, effectively switches the whole main beam off/on)

Never been flashed or have an issue with Matrix lights. They are pretty clever, effectively feels like full beam is on permanently and lights up the whole road - they (on my 2017 RS3) are a million times better than the LED lights on my 2014 S3 (which when in auto mode, effectively switches the whole main beam off/on)

If you drive a newer car with the hi-def lights you will see the same difference from the RS3 as you saw from your S3

I do a lot of fast twisty A and B roads which will catch most lights out. That is why I probably get a few flashes more than most