Noise

Broomy50

Reaction score
A6 2016. 2.0 tdi.
Couple of queries.
1st . Have a slight vibration through steering wheel. Can feel it on door handle also. Only when moving .

2nd .
Little tapping or clicking noise coming from from wheel area, mainly after turning wheel and as it straightens up you hear the clicking .
it’s been up on ramp but they can’t see out . And as usual it wouldn’t do it in the workshop.
It’s in next week for cambelt etc. Any ideas I can tell them to check on both issues.
Wheels have been off and checked for buckle or balance

Thanks in advance

Vibration if you’ve ruled out tyres could be brakes or suspension. Car only 2016, i don’t know mileage but engine mounts would be worth investigation otherwise. Back to the brakes, if the caliper has seized brake sliders or swollen dust sleeve then you’re going to get excessive heat. Tell-tale is heat spots on the disc, burning smell too if it’s particularly bad. Run car for 10-15 minute drive and coast to halt without using brakes. Brake discs should be warm, but not hot to touch. I take it you’re not spanner handy, then garage will just replace caliper, but they can be rebuilt with rebuild kit.

Suspension, assuming this is not air suspension, then multi link suspension, usual culprits are bushes, possibly bottom arms as you usually hear clunk from top arms, ARB links, etc.

Clicking sounds like CV joint. Tell tale is thrown grease if the rubber boot has split. Might only click under load.

Hi thanks for your reply mate .im waiting on a new knee so cant even get down to look at it. It’s in garage next Friday for cam belt /pump. I took it for them to have a Quick Look before it’s in so they could order any. They can’t see anything. And it wouldn’t click while manoeuvring in workshop. I’ve since noticed the clicking only happens when turned and as you straighten up.
Tyres have been checked and balanced. One rear has a slight wobble. But guy seems to think that shouldn’t cause steering wheel vibration , not at low speed anyway , also I feel it under the seat and if hold the door handle. Not sure if clicking is connected to the vibration. I’ve only had it a few weeks . It had a suspension work done in august . I’ll add a photo of that .

Attachments

• IMG_9132.png
    IMG_9132.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
Reactions: spartacus 68
If I had a quid for every noise I spent hours tracking down...... Becomes very tedious