Anybody has the airbag recall done?

2007 but they don't seem to list the my specific variant, only close, and the special eds sometimes get listed as SE's which they are not.
The closest i could find was around 50 but that maybe wrong.
if it stated the output that would help as the 220 bul engines were only used in the b7 dtm and tfsi special eds.

Reactions: B7Tourer
think ive found it, currently 74 on the road.

Reactions: Rob Avant and B7Tourer
Has BRD ever suffered with the hex drive? I think it's a bit longer but...

Has BRD ever suffered with the hex drive? I think it's a bit longer but...
I did mine myself. Car had got 200k mile on it when I bought it. The hex key was slightly worn so replaced with a genuine Audi one. The part was around £4 iirc.

Mines a BRD now got 225k miles on it.

I'll dig the pics out of your interested in the difference between the worn and new one.

I did mine myself. Car had got 200k mile on it when I bought it. The hex key was slightly worn so replaced with a genuine Audi one. The part was around £4 iirc.

Mines a BRD now got 225k miles on it.

I'll dig the pics out of your interested in the difference between the worn and new one.
Yes please Mark that would be cool, thank you.
Would be good to see a 200k example. Is yours good service history with really regular oil changes?

Mine is on 68k now and has had oil and filter every 5k from new.
I got mine on 55k

Reactions: markthenewt
Yes please Mark that would be cool, thank you.
Would be good to see a 200k example. Is yours good service history with really regular oil changes?

Mine is on 68k now and has had oil and filter every 5k from new.
I got mine on 55k
No problem. Only 68k, it's barely broken in!

Mine had some history, not a lot though. Not Audi dealer history but stamped in the book as being serviced at other garages.

I didn't go with the kmb kit that everyone talks about . I've took the chance as it wasn't that worn. I will check the key again at 230k miles. If it's worn then I'll upgrade to the kmb kit.

I service it quite a lot, try to keep on top of the oil and filter changes. Always run Texaco premium diesel to keep the injectors as happy as can be as well. Runs really well, even more so after I rebuilt the head.

I didn't go with the kmb kit that everyone talks about . I've took the chance as it wasn't that worn. I will check the key again at 230k miles. If it's worn then I'll upgrade to the kmb kit.
The problem with just replacing the key, is it's only 77mm if it hasn't been modified; it will eventually wear again; since it's just too short and badly designed. The KMB kit is a 100mm revised key and exchange re-machined balance shaft to match; sorts the issue completely. To be fair, when I had my KMB kit fitted at 230K, there was still a little life in it; now on 257K. Fortunately mine's a BRE so gear driven; if it's a BLB then you need the kit to convert from chain drive too; since that's a fail point too.

If you go to the trouble and expense or do it yourself of dropping the subframe and taking off the sump, which you have to do even if you just replace the hex alone, it's well worth going the full hog for the KMB fit.

But I should add if your 2.0 TDI has got over 200k on the original hex it's been serviced well - the main culprit was long life 20k service, which was just marketing for fleet buyers.

Last edited:
Here you go Matt, this was mine @ 230K; worse than I remembered. I think it was imminent or in the next 5K, to go.

IMG 20220721 155832

Reactions: Matt275
The problem with just replacing the key, is it's only 77mm if it hasn't been modified; it will eventually wear again; since it's just too short and badly designed. The KMB kit is a 100mm revised key and exchange re-machined balance shaft to match; sorts the issue completely. To be fair, when I had my KMB kit fitted at 230K, there was still a little life in it; now on 257K. Fortunately mine's a BRE so gear driven; if it's a BLB then you need the kit to convert from chain drive too; since that's a fail point too.

If you go to the trouble and expense or do it yourself of dropping the subframe and taking off the sump, which you have to do even if you just replace the hex alone, it's well worth going the full hog for the KMB fit.

But I should add if your 2.0 TDI has got over 200k on the original hex it's been serviced well - the main culprit was long life 20k service, which was just marketing for fleet buyers.
Yeah I know the score with it all. Tbh when I got my car I didn't know about the hex key problem and only found out about it after I got the car so of course I was worried, so got to work on it quick time to make sure it was ok. I just got the new key before doing the work as if it was ok and already had the modified kmb (which I didn't know) id have just left it but obvious because it was worn and I'd got the part I just put the new key in as I needed to be back on the road. I hear what your saying though and will most likely get the upgraded kit for when I next check it. Did you swap out the parts yourself or ger kmb to do it?

I was the same, didn't know anything about any Audi before I bought mine 6 years ago, I think around 172K then. You say it already had the KMB mod, am I following? If it had it shouldn't have been worn. The re-machined balance shaft, so they say, is not so much a hardened insert but a much closer tolerance one. At least I've never ever heard of a proper KMB mod needing another hex again. No, it was beyond me and my facilities, I used a place called Straightline Performance; they did a new timing belt at the same time (as well as helicoil the flaky idler pulley shaft - the other major fail on these engines). Well worth it if it's anywhere near due. Runs like a well serviced low mileage 5 year old now.

I was the same, didn't know anything about any Audi before I bought mine 6 years ago, I think around 172K then. You say it already had the KMB mod, am I following? If it had it shouldn't have been worn. The re-machined balance shaft, so they say, is not so much a hardened insert but a much closer tolerance one. At least I've never ever heard of a proper KMB mod needing another hex again. No, it was beyond me and my facilities, I used a place called Straightline Performance; they did a new timing belt at the same time (as well as helicoil the flaky idler pulley shaft - the other major fail on these engines). Well worth it if it's anywhere near due. Runs like a well serviced low mileage 5 year old now.
No mine still had the original key but before I did the work myself I was unsure if it had already had the kmb kit installed.

I've got the m10 to m8 stud conversation on mine which i Installed myself after the pathetic original one that comes with the cambelt kit gave way and ruined my head, which I then had to rebuild. I've changed the cambelt twice in the last 6 months and will be doing it again this week as the camshaft sensor has now decided to die so got to do it all again. Oh the joys, not!

As for doing the kmb conversation I'll probably do.that myself too. Asked if you had done it yourself in case you had any tips.

I have some pictures somewhere I got them to take; I'll try and dig them out - they were top blokes. I do know it's pretty straightforward; cassette out; disassemble; fit new balance shaft. KMB are really good too - you have to send your chassis number and then they match you with the exact kit. There is a deposit; but you get it next day and they re-pay the deposit instantly, once you've sent the old back.

Awesome thanks mate appreciate it. I will give them a call and get the ball rolling.

Just had confirmation of the old bus air bag recall fix.
And at least Audi managed to get the variant details correct for it...lol .it seems other databases can't and have it as an SE , which, it is not.

Thank you for booking your vehicle with Audi Guildford.

The details of your appointment are as follows:
Model: A4 Avt 2.0TFSI Quattro SLine Avant Special Edition
Registration number: LB56KXN
Date in: 28/06/24
Time in: 10.00

Dealer: Audi Guildford
14 - 16 Moorfield Road
Slyfield Industrial Estate
Guildford
Surrey
GU1 1RU

Mine's on the recall list as well...
Just spoke to my local dealer who advised they'll need the car for 2 days!!!
Oh, and it'll be £20 for a courtesy car please...
I'll get back to them, doesnt sit right with me. I know its only £20 but its a recall ***, I shouldn't be 1p out of pocket nevermind the £20+ petrol to get there / time etc...

Sigh...

• Sad
Reactions: Charlie Farley
Just checked my A6 C6 2008 and it's on the list too, booked in with my local Audi dealer, they want the car for a minimum of 3 hours. They said if it is affected it's a dash out job, yikes! it will take 2-3 days to fit.

• Wow
Mine's on the recall list as well...
Just spoke to my local dealer who advised they'll need the car for 2 days!!!
Oh, and it'll be £20 for a courtesy car please...
I'll get back to them, doesnt sit right with me. I know its only £20 but its a recall ***, I shouldn't be 1p out of pocket nevermind the £20+ petrol to get there / time etc...

Sigh...
Best have words about the charges, my dealer are doing the fix and courtesy car all free, no reason why your point of repair can’t do the same.

No charge for courtesy car should be standard in this instance.

Are they sending out letters??I think my car is on the list.
Just checked on recall on Mot site.

Just checked my A6 C6 2008 and it's on the list too, booked in with my local Audi dealer, they want the car for a minimum of 3 hours. They said if it is affected it's a dash out job, yikes! it will take 2-3 days to fit.
I think a lot depends on the location of the part being replaced.
Audi said 2-3 hours on my B7 but it maybe a bigger job on an a6

Reactions: daytonamart
Got my latter yesterday for the A4 daily so have to call the nearest centre and book it in... might give them the VIN of the RS as well because I bet this will aslo be affected

Got my latter yesterday for the A4 daily so have to call the nearest centre and book it in... might give them the VIN of the RS as well because I bet this will aslo be affected
just use the car reg, thats all i did.

Reactions: swisstony
Just called up local dealer. First slot is 26th JUly !! Anyway daily is booked in but no recall for the RS so happy days
wasnt too happy when they say the technician will do a 26 point inspection...umm no thanks I know there are loads of stuff they will find...

Did they give you a time frame for the fix?
seems to vary widely from dealer to dealer.

Did they give you a time frame for the fix?
seems to vary widely from dealer to dealer.
3 hours. They did say I could drop it off and come back to whcih I replied, I will have a loan car. She said no problem you will need it for the day but actual fix is 3 hours.

might as well get as much free from Audi as possible. :thumbs up:

Went into Nottingham Audi today to get booked in. Interestingly, the very helpful lady I was dealing with asked how I knew about the recall as this particular one for my vehicle was only issued on 24th April 2024, hence why no letter yet.
Just said I’d checked the DVLA site and put my VIN into the Audi site to confirm.

I enquired how long they would need the car, apparently they need to scan the car to see which version of airbags I’ve got, if affected they will then book in for another time as can take a couple of days.
No courtesy car for the initial ‘triage’ as she called it, but if it has to go back in they will provide one.

She said someone had brought an immaculate B7 RS4 in for the recall this morning, apparently the owner was quite insistent they didn’t wash or touch any software as the car was mapped.
I said, yep same goes for my old wagon please.

Reactions: swisstony
Went into Nottingham Audi today to get booked in. Interestingly, the very helpful lady I was dealing with asked how I knew about the recall as this particular one for my vehicle was only issued on 24th April 2024, hence why no letter yet.
Just said I’d checked the DVLA site and put my VIN into the Audi site to confirm.

I enquired how long they would need the car, apparently they need to scan the car to see which version of airbags I’ve got, if affected they will then book in for another time as can take a couple of days.
No courtesy car for the initial ‘triage’ as she called it, but if it has to go back in they will provide one.

She said someone had brought an immaculate B7 RS4 in for the recall this morning, apparently the owner was quite insistent they didn’t wash or touch any software as the car was mapped.
I said, yep same goes for my old wagon please.
check the gov mot history checker Rob, if it comes up with the recall alert then your is affected , the guy i spoke with said that only cars that need the fix are noted in the recall full stop.
No need to scan anything as audi will already know what parts were fitted to specific chassis /vin numbers.

check the gov mot history checker Rob, if it comes up with the recall alert then your is affected , the guy i spoke with said that only cars that need the fix are noted in the recall full stop.
No need to scan anything as audi will already know what parts were fitted to specific chassis /vin numbers.
I mentioned to her that I’d already checked both Audi and DVLA websites (last Friday) and it stated I had an outstanding recall. She said there are cars that won’t be affected that have the recall, but they can’t be sure until they have been scanned. She even said they’ve had a few cars in that didn’t need it after the initial check.

Fair enough, sounds a bit strange as they do know what parts are fitted to what vin number cars, but being Audi anything is possible.
Its like ordering spare parts from Audi, they want the VIN number to correctly get the right part which match what was fitted to specific cars, and why they state VIN ranges in ETKA so the right part is ordered, but anything is possible

Reactions: Rob Avant
Received my letter yesterday, bit concerned about them touching the car, I guess it's glove box out to access the airbag.
Hope that all they do.

Hi Richard,
I think it is the glove box out and any other trim to get to the defective part.
My glove box is still locked as the latch broke last year, I dont use it but i suspect I'll need to sort it out prior to the recal fix in june.

I've yet to get anything via the post , but my MOT test yesterday has it stated right across the top.

Fair enough, sounds a bit strange as they do know what parts are fitted to what vin number cars, but being Audi anything is possible.
Its like ordering spare parts from Audi, they want the VIN number to correctly get the right part which match what was fitted to specific cars, and why they state VIN ranges in ETKA so the right part is ordered, but anything is possible
It might be only a certain number of units are affected and they need to ascertain the serial numbers? I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s something like that

It maybe down to this figure of 39 affected cars .
I still can’t get a conclusive answer on what they are saying , whether it’s 39 b7’s or 39 models across the Audi range, nobody seems to be sure , but I’ll find out.
Special Ed’s seem to be affected s fair bit, maybe it’s just a dodgy batch of airbags.

It would interesting to see if the affected cars are within a specific vin number range , which if so may confirm it’s a specific batch of bags.

4F A6's are also affected. My Dad got a letter in for a car he sold 9 years ago!

thats a lot off affected cars. :sadlike:

Anyway, i spoke with audi UK a few mins ago and two other main dealers on this subject as there seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there.
They have advised it is only a few hours work, and B7 doesn't require anymore than that, no dash out or stuff like that .
They run a diagnostic which will confirm if the unit fitted is required to be changed and if so they will just replace it, no dash out etc and certainly not 2-3 days work.
so that's the official info, maybe maybe other models require more work to replace it , but thus far B7 is not a complicated or drawn out fix.