Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 3

A6 Avant

Reaction score
I've recently started getting an intermittent warning message (orange exclamation mark) saying: "Drive system: fault. Please contact workshop."

It clears itself as soon as the car is turned off but I managed to scan it while the fault was present and it came up with the error code P242A00 (Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 3).

At first I thought it might just be the DPF clogging the sensor or something like that so went on the motorway with high revs etc to clear it and thought that had done the trick but unfortunately it's come back on again today.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same thing? Would it just be a sensor in the exhaust that needs replacing?

I'm urgently trying to work out which part number is required to replace this faulty sensor (intermittent error P242A - exhaust gas temperature sensor, bank 1 sensor 3) and would be grateful for some help.

I've been given part number 05L906088J which is apparently sensor 3 bank 1. However, when I've looked this up it says it's 'before DPF' when I've read elsewhere that sensor 3 is the one after the DPF so I'm not 100% sure whether this is the correct part or not.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help clarify this or has a relevant parts diagram (for the EGT sensors/exhaust system on a 2018 C8 Avant 40TDI)?

Last edited: