Radiator fans / Coolant temp / Thermostat issues

steve_sussex

Reaction score
Hoping someone might be able to shed a little light on an issue I am currently having with my 2008 A3 8P 1.9TDi.

I noticed recently, in the last couple months, that I was getting noticeably worse mpg, and have now since realised that both the radiator fans come on immediately when starting the car, even from cold first thing in the morning. They stay on all the time when driving too. They even come on if I just turn the ignition on without actually starting the engine. They never stay on after removing the key though like I have seen others having issues with.

The car is also not getting up to normal temp, it gets no further than about 70 degrees, but then pretty much stays at that temp. Also with the climate control system on, the ECON button is on and cannot be turned off. I have one of those cheapo bluetooth obd scanners which I have used to scan for errors with the Torque Pro app, but it doesnt find any problems.

So, I have now removed the 50A bolted on fuse to stop the radiator fans coming on at all. I was thinking them being on might be why the car couldn't get up to 90 degrees, but even without the radiator fans on it is still getting no further than 70 degrees. The ECON button is also still on and cannot be turned off.

I have read various threads about similar issues, but am unsure where this problem may be - The radiator fans themselves, the coolant temp sensor, or the thermostat. If the thermostat is faulty, could that cause both radiator fans to run at full speed immediately? If it was a coolant temp sensor, wouldn't I get an error code?

Hopefully someone has had the same issue before!?

You wont get code if sensor read bad temp. On mine 2.0tdi CR there is coolant temp sensor on radiator exit and when it fail (show big temp even if it is not) then it hold fans always on. Check if you have it, it may be reason why they are all time on. Econ could be related, i'm not sure. I would also change thermostat, it is not expensive