Locked out of the boot

Greggles

Reaction score
I bought the A4 1.9 SE about 2 months ago. The day I bought the car, the boot only opened with the key. That evening I used the key to open the boot but it wouldn't unlock or remove from the lock. How do I get into the boot, is there an emergency release? My mechanic wants to drill out the lock but a replacement is over £200. I have seen a post about removing the rear number plate and drilling a hole in the boot to gain access. Does anyone know of a less drastic way of getting in the boot?

I had a similar thing happen. Best way I would suggest is to get yourself into the boot, open the emergency triangle flap. There are some small holes there that you could maybe pull the latch open with a hooked pick or a coat hanger . But easier solution would be to cut a small hole (this will be covered by emergency triangle flap) through which you can get good access to the latch and pull the release (either the actuator or key one) to get the boot open. Then remove the boot interior trim and you’ll have full access to all you need

I had a similar thing happen. Best way I would suggest is to get yourself into the boot, open the emergency triangle flap. There are some small holes there that you could maybe pull the latch open with a hooked pick or a coat hanger . But easier solution would be to cut a small hole (this will be covered by emergency triangle flap) through which you can get good access to the latch and pull the release (either the actuator or key one) to get the boot open. Then remove the boot interior trim and you’ll have full access to all you need
Hi, thanks for your reply, unfortunately we had to remove the number plate and cut a hole in the boot skin to gain access. The cut out was welded back in place and number plate refitted. No evidence of such invasive actions.