Power Steering Issue

Duffer1886

Reaction score
Random one last night driving home the car stalled when turning around a corner a low revs into a road, started the car again and the dreaded dash light flashed steering defective do not drive, scanned the car and its showing no communication with steering module. Take it I'm looking at a new steering rack?

Western power steering in Bristol way offer exchange, refurb options afaik, good service, just maybe needs a few calls to answer the phone as they're very busy.

They have an eBay store too.

Reactions: Duffer1886
there was a svm for the 4G A6 (same sorta idea I suppose to your 8K) to fix a software glitch - may be worth checking with someone local with odis to put your car online to see if there any software updates available

Last edited:
Reactions: NHN
Am I right in recalling that pre-facelift B8s had hydraulic power sterring, but post-facelift (i.,e. B8.5) were electric? Mighh that make a difference?

there was a svm for the 4G A6 (same sorta idea I suppose to your 8K) to fix a software glitch - may be worth checking with someone local with odis to put your car online to see if there any software updates available
Would this be my local Audi dealer I would need to speak with ie Belfast Audi?

Thanks

Would this be my local Audi dealer I would need to speak with ie Belfast Audi?

Thanks
Yes, you should be able to give Audi the registration or VIN and see if there's outstanding software update against the car. However that said - I'm sure Audi will charge an hour's labour which is is in region of £180 which may or may not fix it. What were you using to scan the car? No communication I'd have thought should definitely show up with VCDS.

Good call from NHN - I see Western Power Steering have reconditioning service for B8 for £475 (that's on exchange basis) or full rack exchange for £1,225 with no need for programming (comes with 2 year warranty).

Western say if there's water ingress to the rack bearing or motor which can't be overhauled - then it will move to a replacement rack.

Reactions: Duffer1886
Western power steering in Bristol way offer exchange, refurb options afaik, good service, just maybe needs a few calls to answer the phone as they're very busy.

They have an eBay store too.
Looking like I might go down this route, have you heard many reports about them?

Thanks in advance.

My rack just failed, had communication but motor fault came up on scan. £2950 for diagnosis and new Audi rack fitted at decent independent in southern England.