Fault code.

Johncam

2019 A6 sline
Reaction score
I'm after some help please......
Using obd11 I get a fault for heat sensor bank one sensor 3. P242A00.......

Could anyone tell me the location of the sensor or even a part number as this would help me big time as the fault keeps coming back every few days.

Many thanks

I had this same error which appeared intermittently as you’ve described.

The part is ‘exhaust gas temperature sensor - bank 1 sensor 3‘.

I changed the sensor and it seemed to fix the problem (could probably dig out the part number for you if that would help).

Although I then started having issues with the adblue system straight after which may or may not have been related but it seemed like a bit of a coincidence if not.

It may just be the sensor on yours though and I think it was around £150 from Audi for the part so worth trying that first.

Reactions: Johncam
Can you remember the colour of the plug if you can't find the part number mate.

Much appreciated

Can you remember the colour of the plug if you can't find the part number mate.

Much appreciated
I’ve just checked some screenshots I had and I think the part number is 05L906088J.

Reactions: Johncam
@A6 Avant

Hi mate did you find the part number please........ need to get one ordered asap as this car is driving me nuts with problems.

T
I’ve just checked some screenshots I had and I think the part number is 05L906088J.
Thank you very much for that..........

I love the car but having a nightmare with electrical problems. I bought the car 2 months ago and the garage did a few jobs but then told me that it only had a 30 day warranty on it so I'm stuck now with all these issues and trying to fight with the garage.

I have gone from a trouble free vehicle for 4yrs to a car that has more faults than a 20year old car.

They say technology is the future well you can shove it where the sun don't shine as life has become so stressful with this car.

@A6 Avant

Hi mate did you find the part number please........ need to get one ordered asap as this car is driving me nuts with problems.
Yes coincidentally I posted it above about 10 mins ago - you must have missed it. I can double check the invoice on Monday as I don’t have that on me (we ordered a couple to be on the safe side as we weren’t 100% sure which one was needed) but I’m pretty sure that was the part number we ended up using.

T

Thank you very much for that..........

I love the car but having a nightmare with electrical problems. I bought the car 2 months ago and the garage did a few jobs but then told me that it only had a 30 day warranty on it so I'm stuck now with all these issues and trying to fight with the garage.

I have gone from a trouble free vehicle for 4yrs to a car that has more faults than a 20year old car.

They say technology is the future well you can shove it where the sun don't shine as life has become so stressful with this car.
I completely understand what you mean and I’ve felt very much the same way about this car at times. I have a love/hate relationship with it. If you bought it from a garage, I thought the warranty should be 3 months by law. What other problems are you having?

Thank you for the replies........

The car was bought from a big dealership and i thought there was a 3 month warranty on the car. The day i collected the car they had managed to loose the spare key so after 3 weeks a key was done. The following week the N/S mirror wouldn't fold out and started smoking so it burnt out. They delivered a replacement mirror to my work place for me to fit !

In the mean time I had been getting random faults for just about every sensor in the car. You couldn't drive a 100 yards without it showing faults. So my wife called the garage to have it booked in with audi for repairs but they said the vehicle had a 30 day warranty on it only so there was nothing they could do.

I'm a mechanic so I checked the 12v battery and it was bad so a new one was bought and coded to the car. I had everything crossed that this would solve the problems but nope. I then got lots of warnings for all the safety features that would show every time the car was started and driven.

So i bought a obd eleven and a licence to do coding on the car and after a few hrs of messing around i found that the safety features were showing inactive. Changed them all to active and everything started working again.

The only fault i have now is heat sensor bank1 sensor 3. This fault is random for when it appears so i either have a bad sensor or something else is going on with the car.

I am now in a fight with the garage to either have the car checked or repaired by audi because they are a different branded dealer or they can have the car back and cover the costs that i have with it. I paid just over 17k for the car and a few hundred on repairs up to now.

My argument is that they already have seen the faults and that's why the short warranty. Sorry for the long post but i hope it helps other members to be very careful when buying these cars as I thought that it was a safe bet buying from a big dealer.

I've double checked and the part that I replaced was definitely 05L906088J. The connector at the other end is brown in colour and mine also had 545 written on the cable. Good luck with sorting it all out and I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

Also regarding the random 'safety system' error messages you're getting, I do find the car throws these up every now and then but they tend to go away after turning it off/on again.

One that happens more often is the auto lights go into a funk when I briefly stop the car and then start it again. It only happens once in a while but it's always the same situation of briefly stopping, turning the ignition off and then on again shortly afterwards. Always clears itself once the car is turned off again but I've never got to the bottom of why it does that.

One simple thing to check would be the triangular sensor in your windscreen (behind the rear view mirror) for any dirt/debris/damage as that's where a lot of the sensors for the safety systems get their data from so if there's an issue it could cause random errors to keep coming on. I've found condensation in cold weather can sometimes trigger it but it then clears itself as the car warms up.

Small update........

Just thought i would take the sensor out and give it a clean as I had nothing to loose........

Drove home from work and the fault didn't happen but i will see how it goes. I had to remove the airbox to get at it and found this ! The pollen filter was the same so they lied about the full service the car had.....

Attachments

• 20240429_092819.jpg
    20240429_092819.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240429_092812.jpg
    20240429_092812.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
A small update........

Bank 1 sensor 3 fault is back but in a odd way. If i sit at 70-75 mph i don't get the fault but as soon as you get to 80 overtaking bingo the fault appears

I'm going to order the sensor this week and see what happens with it....... as for the other problems with the camera systems I'm currently in a fight with the dealer to get this sorted.

T
A small update........

Bank 1 sensor 3 fault is back but in a odd way. If i sit at 70-75 mph i don't get the fault but as soon as you get to 80 overtaking bingo the fault appears

I'm going to order the sensor this week and see what happens with it....... as for the other problems with the camera systems I'm currently in a fight with the dealer to get this sorted.
I suppose that would make sense as it’s a temperature sensor (the exhaust gases would get hotter as the speed/RPM increases). Hopefully the new sensor will do the trick.

In terms of the fault with the camera systems, did you see my comment about checking for any damage/debris in the triangular camera in the windscreen behind the rear view mirror?