A3 (2.0L TFSI Quattro Saloon) Engine Failure - Thoughts?

sam0910

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've owned my A3 for approx 11 months now and it has been plagued with issues but none as big as this one.

A couple days ago I was driving up the motorway when the EPC light came on along with a rev limiter warning (4200rpm if I remember correctly). There was a faint knocking coming from the engine bay and this got gradually louder. Before I was able to pull over the engine cut out. It was a spectacular failure, it simply stopped. The dash displayed neutral and the rev counter was 0rpm, but the power steering was still active so luckily I was able to coast to a safe spot.

Upon pulling over, I noticed oil dripping from the engine bay. It wasn't gushing out and probably continued to leak for a good 5-6 hours at least. The car would not restart. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and, if so, where the diagnosis was? The car had a new head gasket around 6 months ago which was covered by the dealership under consumer rights and I've done no more than 3,000 miles since then. Surely nothing on the engine should fail after that for quite some time?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Was the gasket done by an Audi dealership?

That's a little bizarre, also questionable 6 months later.