Smart Alternator? New Battery

IanL-RS3

Reaction score
I'm in Halfords at the moment getting a new battery as I've had another flat battery (the trickle charger failed) and I'm away this weekend.

But when they fitted the new battery the voltage is only showing 12.3v

The original battery was showing 11.99 and 99% health.

They suggested that the alternator may be on the way out.

So I just did a quick Google and there's talk of a smart alternator that only charges when needed?

I'm on my phone so I'll do a thorough search later. But thought I'd ask here quickly what voltage are you seeing in your batteries at idle? And is this smart alternator a thing?

Thanks in advance

I'm in Halfords at the moment getting a new battery as I've had another flat battery (the trickle charger failed) and I'm away this weekend.

But when they fitted the new battery the voltage is only showing 12.3v

The original battery was showing 11.99 and 99% health.

They suggested that the alternator may be on the way out.

So I just did a quick Google and there's talk of a smart alternator that only charges when needed?

I'm on my phone so I'll do a thorough search later. But thought I'd ask here quickly what voltage are you seeing in your batteries at idle? And is this smart alternator a thing?

Thanks in advance
Yes all cars now (for a few years) have a smart alternator. Only charges the battery when it needs it. Emissions rubbish...

Reactions: IanL-RS3
Smart alternators tend to 'over charge' or charge higher when you lift off etc, the fuel consumption bar shows a 'green battery' bit at the right hand side of the gauge and although I have never looked into it any closer I would imagine dont charge as high in the area's where emissions are measured :)

They just disengage once the battery is topped up. Confused me on my mates camper van when we were wiring in the leisure battery. Ended up having to install an inline battery charger for it.