new tyre choices.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I need to get some new tires organized for the old bus but after a lot of thinking I just cant see the point of buying high-end ones now.
1) I do much less mileage these days and I'm not fussed about having high-performance tires that just won't get used that much.
So based on that I'm thinking maybe,

Falken Azenis FK520
235/35R19 91Y XL

or

Toyo Proxes Sport 2
235/35R19 91Y XL

I have used Falkens before and to be honest they were pretty good but not tried Toyo's

both work out at around the £480 fitted mark, so kinda where i wanted to be budget wise.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Reactions: NHN
Tbh bud, I'm like you, I gave up buying high end as last set I had on my S4 shredded for no reason & refused to warranty by Goodyear then some months later I discovered many others had the same issue, so now I go with higher end of economy & tbh those ones you've noted are pretty good.

Tyre companies are a joke & they have no external regulation, they have there own monopolistic ways to handle defects & don't generally honour warranty for some reason or other.

I've, touch wood, always had safe driving on tyre choices & saved probably many £K in those same choices.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
can't go wrong with either of those 2 but if it was me i'd go for

Falken Azenis FK520
235/35R19 91Y XL

Reactions: NHN and Charlie Farley
Yes, had falkens on my Subaru legacy and no issues at all, reviews don't rate them in the wet but then reviews are not always that accurate, too many variables to be honest.

Reactions: northpole
Thumbs up here for Falken too. Ran then on my B6 and B7 back in the day; excellent tyres.

Reactions: northpole and Charlie Farley
Thumbs up here for Falken too. Ran then on my B6 and B7 back in the day; excellent tyres.
what sort of wet grip did they provide and cornering in the B7?

Itching to get these Lemans on but dont really want anything with a protruding rimsaver lip.
Looks like the falkens will be fine on that front.

IMG 8137

I need to get some new tires organized for the old bus but after a lot of thinking I just cant see the point of buying high-end ones now.
I'm with you I'm afraid. Up till now it's been strictly Michelin Pilot Sports, all round. This time needed front ones, after advisory on the MOT. Pennies are real tight right now; it was a comedown and I was real ashamed to have to fit Kwikfit specials, Arrowspeed I think. TBH they are the exact speed rating; look almost identical, including rim protector and just as quiet. Reading around they last as long too. I'll see how they go but I'm thinking of now fitting to the rears too.

I'm with you I'm afraid. Up till now it's been strictly Michelin Pilot Sports, all round. This time needed front ones, after advisory on the MOT. Pennies are real tight right now; it was a comedown and I was real ashamed to have to fit Kwikfit specials, Arrowspeed I think. TBH they are the exact speed rating; look almost identical, including rim protector and just as quiet. Reading around they last as long too. I'll see how they go but I'm thinking of now fitting to the rears too.
No need to feel shame or embarrassment. Circumstances and context are everything.

Jup I am running budget tires on mine but mine is NA... especially if you have to do all 5 tires in one go the price for premium really puts a dent in your savings.

Budgets for the win, just change them earlier than premium and all should be fine. I can actually change all 5 on mine 2 more times before I come anywhere near the price of what the premium tires would've cost me. And do more miles while doing so.
Sometimes it's more efficient to do the math and decide to go for cheaper and replace earlier with similar if you can't fork out for the premiums especially if a combined mileage and a few changes puts you past the lifespan of premium ones.

No shame in it. Just simple maths...

I’m going with falkens, just had a quote from a local independent tyre fitting shop, £450 fitted etc and will do the tracking for another £10 on top, it’s hard to find a reason not to go this route.
Going to get it organised for next week, mot on Friday so I will get that out of the way first .
Thanks for the input guys, appreciated as allways.

Reactions: northpole and jdp1962
I recently bought 4 Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 6 at a very good price for £455.96 from believe it or not ATS,
Who at that time where giving £70.00 of 4 tyres.!!
I was waiting for Costco promotion on Mitchelin again, but puncture put paid to that, had to buy part worn to get out of trouble.

I recently bought 4 Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 6 at a very good price for £455.96 from believe it or not ATS,
Who at that time where giving £70.00 of 4 tyres.!!
I was waiting for Costco promotion on Mitchelin again, but puncture put paid to that, had to buy part worn to get out of trouble.
That is a good price, not sure such a good deal can be had now though, and with tyre prices on a rapid increase too.

looks like thay are still doing £70 off 4 tyres but even with discount it is a £109 more , which is more funds to go on the engine to be honest.

Above price is very good keeping in mind its for 19"and I need 19" fitment not 18"

But i'm happy to stick with the falkens now :thumbs up:

Got both ,falkens on my bbs and Toyo’s on my Bentleys ,prefer the falkens although thats due to the slight tramlining I get with the Bentleys which is probably more to do with 9j

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got both ,falkens on my bbs and Toyo’s on my Bentleys ,prefer the falkens although thats due to the slight tramlining I get with the Bentleys which is probably more to do with 9j

Might add they are both 235 35 so more stretch on the Toyos ..wondering if anyone knows if that stretch might contribute to the tramlining

Might add they are both 235 35 so more stretch on the Toyos ..wondering if anyone knows if that stretch might contribute to the tramlining

yes it does that is why i prefer to have the tires sit how they should, a nice square contact patch even when set at max PSI. I used to run my old mk2 and mk3 golfs on stretched tires and when i went stupid and blueprinted the mk3 vr6 i quickly realised that the tramlining and loss of traction was exagerate by running stretched tires... so i went back to running less wide wheels and have more traction and less tramlining... now these where both 17 inch wheels, you running 19 inch wheels will just make it worse...

you could experiment with the tire pressure to see if it helps but in general running a square wheel setup ( even if they are stupid wide) seems to help fight the tramlining, traction will also be better.

Reactions: Jamsmoo