Help needed: Clutch master cylinder removal and sourcing replacement part

DoubleB6

Reaction score
Good afternoon all. So my clutch master cylinder has a leak and I’ve started to replace it but I’ve run into two problems. Firstly I can’t get the thing out. Secondly I having trouble finding a new master cylinder that’ll take less than a week to arrive.
To remove it I’ve tried to do it with the pedal box in the car. From what I have read this is possible on LHD but couldn’t find anything about RHD. I’ve got both lines removed, the two bolts removed, the rectangular white clip removed from the clutch pedal (as far as it will go pushing the rod into the cylinder) but I cannot seem to be able to get the MC hydraulic connections clear of the bulkhead. The connection which goes to the slave line doesn’t seem to pull back enough to get behind the bulkhead. It seems to still stick out by about 1mm. It can’t go back anymore as the yellow zinc washer which is on the master cylinder is hitting the aluminium machining of the pedal box. Hopefully that all makes a bit of sense. Is it possible to replace the MC with the pedal box still in? If use more force pulling MC back will the yellow washer pop forward enough for the MC to be removed? I can just break the plastic and remove it that way but I’m wondering if I’ll run into a similar problem when installing the new one.

I’ve also had problems finding a new one that I can get within a week. I ordered a Sachs one from Euro Car Parts using the reg look up however the MC which they supply for the B6/B7 has a plastic end with a bolt hole (it looked very much like a B5 MC) rather than the rectangular clip so it wouldn’t fit. I called about 10 different places none of which were able to supply one, I found out that LuK and Sachs have both recently stopped making the part. I spoke to the local Audi parts department who told me the latest revision was 8E2 721 401 AC but the part was obsolete as of March 2024, that part number is for all B6/B7 A4/S4/RS4. I know this MC is used on Seat Exeo and possibly a generation of Passat. I can order from Eastern Europe but I can’t imagine I’ll have that before the end of next week, same with the ones on ebay. If anybody has a spare one or knows somewhere that’ll do one with a next day or 48hr delivery please do let me know. Thanks

Try 'parts in motion', also Amazon as sometimes they can be found o there on a prime delivery.