Q7 2006 Q7 Automatic transmission jerking when hot

DoubleB6

Reaction score
Hello, I’ve got a 2006 Q7 (200k miles) with an auto transmission (09D made by Aisin) which operates absolutely fine when cold, perfectly smooth. However once the transmission oil temp gets above 50degC it does not shift well at all. It seems like it is holding mid shift and then there is a big jerk as the car changes gear. The fluid was change about 20k miles ago and there was maybe a slight improvement but it’s worse now. I am unsure if the filter was replaced

As it shifts perfectly whilst cold but only has problems when the fluid is warm it makes me think that it is an issue with the fluid being degraded rather than any internal wear or damage. Would it be worthwhile trying a proper fluid flush and changing the filter? Or whether it’d be better not to waste that money and get a low mileage or recon box instead? Any suggestions much appreciated

Cheapest option 1st, then look at mechatronic unit if fitted.

ok thanks, I have VCDS are there any measuring blocks which I should be paying attention to which could indicate a bad mechatronic unit? I believe on this transmission the TCU is under the drivers seat and the actuation unit (the valve body) is on the lower side of the trans

I did a scan of the unit and I got two fault codes (forget to put them in the post above)

17114 - Gear Ratio Monitoring
P0730 - 003 - incorrect gear ratio - intermittent

00789 - backup switch (F41)
009 - open or short to ground - intermittent