Could I sell my A3???

Dave_Bayern

Slipping at 3.5Krpm
Reaction score
Could I sell my car??

I dont mean 'would it sell' I mean do you think it'd be something that I could sell and cover reasonable costs with?

You see, its pretty non standard which knocks the price down, so I'm debating if it is destined to become a dedicated track car or if I could sell it to start funding a new car?

Your input would be pretty useful I reckon, to get a general idea.

Its a 1999 AGU on 'R' Reg
135K miles
Volcano Black which means black/graphite colour
Grey Leather interior
Audi TT comp alloys with Goodyear Eagle F1's
Spare set matt black painted RS4 reps with Toyos (for track and winter)

and the modified part:

Standard AGU
Lightened flywheel and VR6 clutch
K03s Turbo, currently done about 45K
Forge TIP
Forge 007P Diverter
3" downpipe and decat (and spare original cat)
Milltek catback with twin 80mm exit
Godspeed FMIC and piping
Carbonio CAI
Eibach ARBs
FK Konigsport height and damping adjustable coilovers
Post facelift headlights/HIDs
Post facelift Rear lights

Runs at approx 250Bhp (with dyno charts)

Thats not an exhaustive list but the general idea is, its one of the faster OEM A3's around, but it does have mileage against it.

What do people think? The car I'll be replacing it with will be road and track capable so theres no NEED to keep the Audi, but could I get a reasonable sum selling the A3 or are they worth pittance now?

frontrightnc7.jpg

Thing is, at what price? thats what I'm trying to work out, I have some bills I need to pay and I'd need to get a cacky old rustbucket whilst my new car was on the ship over.

Are these cars worth anything now? Seriously, I'm so out of touch I dont even know a ballpark figure.

I love the car and its spec but think you will struggle to get any where near the money you have spent on it.
As above though I could be interested if you put a price on it?

Well, I'm in no way trying to recoup what I've spent on it, thats a pet hate of mine when people assume because they've spent x amount that the car is worth x amount more. Pistonheads shows figures from 2.5K to 5K for similar mileage cars.

Which is no help at all really.

I was hoping someone would be able to give me an idea what I should be asking for it, so that its a reasonable price and I wouldnt be asking too much/ripping anyone off.

They seem to be about 3K bog standard so I'm wondering if I'd get more removing the FMIC, 312mms, TIP etc and selling those seperately.

Strip it and turn it into a track car. Unless you have a new project to fund????

I kinda need to sell it, I need to clear a couple credit card bills so that I can feel secure in my finances as I intend to import a Mustang V8 instead of the Audi.

So If I was to do a detailed ad showing all the imperfections, as well as all the plus points, also bear in mind its enthusiast owned and maintained to perfection with all bills, would it be unfair to ask 4K for it?

I know I chip in plenty of times when other people ask saying "Thats too expensive by far" so is 4K a fair price to ask?

Never thought id see the day dave, what you getting an S3? Only kidding :lmfao:

Depends really you could strip it and sell the mods? Looks like a well looked after car though.

Maybe sell it as it is for 4k No offers?

Looks like me and Prawn will be the only A3 owners in the 250 club now!

What are you lining up for its replacement?

I'll buy your wheels if you split..

Jason

Well, I'm waiting on a new contract for work right now but if it all goes through, something very similar to this:

ford_mustang_shelby_gt_photos_21.jpg

23K imported and duty paid.

Spend an extra 4k and get the 6.0 Monaro VXR....then again spend the 4k on Roushing it up!

Theres no way I'd have something with a Vauxhall badge on it, regardless of if its really a Holden.

Roush is a no-no as well, if I had the 4K extra to spend, then I'd just buy the Shelby GT500 and be done with it.

I think I'll clean the car at the weekend, take some pictures, write up a full spec and get it on pistonheads etc.

Stick it up for 4K with all the extras and standard parts (RS4 reps, Michelin Slicks, old Cat, Turbo, TIP's etc)

I now need to find something to drive inbetween.

Interesting Choice do the mustangs still have the overweight crap handling stigma with them? Or are they toally diifferent these days and im talking crap?

Good luck with the sale though Dave, Thats a sorted A3 there must be great on the track!

Jason

The Mustangs still have the live rear axle so they are a bit unpredictable at times, but there are numerous kits to sort that out.

The GT weighs 1700kg and has 300Bhp so its not all that bad, same power to weight ratio as the Audi but I just want something a bit different.

My friend who is a racing/performance driving instructor told me that my A3 was the most well sorted front wheel drive vehicle he has ever driven, so it must be reasonable I suppose!

Yeah it is a Vauxhall but 'bang for buck' one of the best deals out there at present. Still I thought the GT500 were north of £40k....anyway £4k for your A3 does seem on the money.

When I was looking for my 1.8T last year, the prices varied quite a bit. I eventually bought one in August for £3750. S reg, 1 owner, FASH and with 55000 on the clock.

With the mods that you have done, you could get your asking price, if you sold it to someone on here that was looking to do the same mods which you have already done.

I think at the end of the day a car is only really worth what someone is prepared to pay.

Dave_Bayern said:
Well, I'm in no way trying to recoup what I've spent on it, thats a pet hate of mine when people assume because they've spent x amount that the car is worth x amount more.

I was in no way trying to suggest this, i have spent to much money on my car and realise i am going to get nowhere near as what I've spent on it.

GT500s are 33K to import if you do it yourself and pay full duty.

Why UK dealers think they can get away with 7K profit is beyond my comprehension.

I'm waiting on a job offer so will stick an ad up if it all goes to plan for approx 4K to include all the other bits I have from pre-upgrade, such as old wheels, old turbo, old pipework, old lights etc etc.

ford_mustang_shelby_gt_photos_21.jpg

Saw one of these the other day on the M1,looked lovely and the exhaust note was fantastic.Everyone was looking at it.

My friend has one, he lives in California mind.

Saw a black GT500 as per pic in the Heathrow long stay at Christmas, and a Blue with white stripes passed me in my village last week.

Too many co-incidences, something is telling me to buy one :)

A3_Turbo said:
Looks like me and Prawn will be the only A3 owners in the 250 club now!

Jason

Excuse me????

Mines booked into JBS on feb 1st :D

josh

Too bad you guys will be wheelspinning all the way up the road(Apart from Andy ;)) whenever there's a hint of moisture on the ground.

*Runs off and hides*:undwech:

How much did you pay for your TC? Did you have any issues using the OEM wheel sensors. RichA3Turbo mentioned he had issues with them at higher speeds.

Prawn said:
some may indeed have race logic Jason, however, you, me, and Josh certainly dont :)

HAHA was just about to say that! would love a LSD but really cant see that! so TC just aint gonna happen!

Still excited though!!

P.S good luck with the sale Dave!! wish you had decided this earlier , wouldve just bought yours haha!! oh well.

josh

Hehe Prawn you've spoilt it now, im jsut a peasant in my A3 with no TC so lots of spinning for me!

Racelogic or a LSD would be a worthy adidition though!

Jason

Ever thought of a bit of manual throttle control........?

I've got a pretty good mate with one of two supercharged Roush mustangs (the other is blue with white stripes), ****** good car, sounds amazing and totally mad, love it.

I do find it quite funny that you've spent a lot of time moaning about S3s are are about to by something that's not exactly great in the handling dept.

PS. don't try reversing if there's an Elise behind you, as you won't be able to see it :lmfao:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/bparkes/Tunnel Run and VW 9th Sep 07/DSC_0080.jpg