Anybody noticed green moss on the very edge of their headlights?

sat1983

Reaction score
Where they are sealed. I've got this on both headlights, and although not really a problem I was wondering wether this was a normal thing to happen, especially as my car lives outside.

Well moss grows in damp conditions away from direct sunlight and usually needs some sort of dirt to grow on (correct?!) So there's a couple of things to think about...
It's definitely not the car anyway, it's where and how you're keeping it.
Maybe squirt a bit of Weedol in the wash bucket next time!

But outside or not should the headlight not be sealed properly to prevent this from happening? The car is very very well cared for and not 2 years old yet- and the way I see it putting a damp car in garage would make this happening more likely than if its kept outside with air getting to the parts needing to be dry??

I know what you're saying and yes i would have thought the unit should be fully sealed and air tight.
I admit i have noticed condensation in mine after jet washing so to be fair it could just be a design fault in the seals?

I could understand condensation - but moss would be a step too far. Mie's been outside for 3 years and no seen this!

Is it on the inside or outside of the headlight? (sorry, obvious question) if its the inside, take it back to Audi as that aint right

Updated with pictures:

Moss3.jpg

Moss2.jpg

MOSS.jpg

Popped by an Audi dealer and it seems that this is very common. Anything over a year old and it starts but only seems to happen to A3's! Condensation gets trapped on that side of the headlight and then eventually moss grows.
Tut tut, this is the one and only quality issue I have to complain about!

I didn't bother asking as looking at 90% of their A3s the same seem to happen.

I've seen green growth around the edges of my lights, A mix of strong cleaner (APC) with a detail brush, toothbrush or cotton bud cleans it off, looks like the same place as yours, can you not get at it with a little brush.

Definitely take it back & get them replaced mate, its under warranty still & thats ridiculous, use your warranty, you will find that they might have superseded your headlight part number already with a newer one that would probably have resolved that issue, looking at etka there are some lights for the a3 that have been updated so worth a try & no cost to you is it, cause come to reselling later it will be an issue I can guarantee you that, cause the buyer will spot it as you did fella.

I suppose I could try! It's an easy one for them though, they'll just show me another A3's with the same problem and tell me to f*** off!
Will let you know the outcome, will be interesting if anything.

I suppose I could try! It's an easy one for them though, they'll just show me another A3's with the same problem and tell me to f*** off!

sure - another one with the same problem equals design flaw though, so you can thank them when they show you it and ask when Audi will make a new headlamp that does not suffer from an inherrent design issue

and in the mean time, they can agree to replace yours every 12 months...........

Mate, insist it gets sorted, dont be fobbed of with it atall, cause if it gets worse it will make it look horrible when you go to resell, tell them that aswell, say you are not happy with this & you want it changed immediately, its under 3 year warranty.

A ****** headlight on a car with moss growing inside the lense, please what next, fecking vegetable garden on the engine & daffodils out of the airvents, for gods sake man have some balls lol, lol, blag it if you have to, they blag us every damn day, use the system against them, they have some responsibility fella for that warranty, use it.