B8 Headlights on B6 - Photoshop'd

Thanks for the support guys I was ready to give up last night.

The supplier has offered me a rebate if I repair them myself or to return, I decided to have a go myself.

Managed to split the glass off the unit by using a heat gun, Stanley and penknife and spraying WD40 into the union to stop the sealant sticking back together when cool, works a treat by the way one of my old tricks!

You can see in the picture below that the inner mount has broken in two places, hard to see how it has happened really. First stage is to glue back together with some high strength ruberised CA that I have then I will make some reinforcing brackets in aluminium, should work ok.

DSC_0381.jpg

does the light with the ecu fit in fine??? also is the cut off the wrong way round? looking forward to some pics keep up the good work

Hi, It doesnt look as thought they have made provision for the ECU but I will have to look a bit closer at how its attached to the side of the original headlight.

I think the cut off may be the wrong way which is going to be a problem for MOT etc if it is. I am not sure where the pattern comes from, the front glass is clear and doesnt have any markings so it appears the cut off is via the lens. If it is the one fitted looks very similar to the original so I may end up swapping them over. Anyone know how the pattern is made?

oh rite ok, well wen u get to that stage if u could let me know how you get on i will be most gratefull
cheers m8

Done the first repair, other one is easy, on target for fitting next weekend!

That aint goin nowhere is it :laugh:

DSC_0382.jpg

Turns out there is a baffle that creates the cut off pattern which when I put 12V through the dipped beam unit is definately the wrong way round, easy enough just reverse the baffle and its now correct !! wouldnt you think as the manufacturer knew it was a UK order they would have made it like that in the first place

Means taking the other unit apart but never mind, this is a lot of work :ohmy:

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0234.jpg

Took the other headlight apart to correct the beam pattern to find it too was broken, never mind another repair and back together again.

So set too yesterday to have a go at fitting, originals came out much easier than I thought and what I thought was an ECU is actually the control unit for the headlight, such an idiot! so this wasnt a issue.

So grabbed a light and stuffed it in guess what it doesnt fit!!:banghead: -

2008_0830Car0024.jpg

You can see in the picture that there is a difference in the depth the wing comes into the headlight and the mounting points are completely different. Ok so I should have checked before I did all the work but I thought it would be much harder to fit them than it was.

So its official they dont fit and S4 or perhaps a cabriolet? It beats me why Audi have gone to all the trouble to make a different headlight that is only slightly different.

Actually I do like them they follow the line of the wing well and look great lit up -

2008_0830Car0027.jpg

Havent decided what to do yet I have got an idea in my head otherwise they will be up here or on ebay in a few days.

Pretty gutted so take it easy on me guys!

Anyway here is a pic of my car and what I have done to the calipers -

2008_0830Car0031-1.jpg

2008_0830Car0032.jpg

Thats a Shame mate, sorry to hear that.

Thats a nice scratch on your Bumper aint it, did you do that whilst doing the headlamps??

Good work on the Brakes aswell, looks fresh!

Cheers mate I am gutted after all that work.

Funny about the bumper I have looked outside to see what was causing the reflection but cant find it, anyway it isnt a scratch, phew!!

Edit: got it its my socket wrench with extension lying on the floor!

Ah yeah so it is, I should have noticed that in your 2nd picture.
I was told that the Cab Headlights are different to the saloons!!:uhm: Look the same to me but if thats the case then Im sure ill have them off you :eyebrows:...

What a ****** nightmare this has been for you! Whoever would have thought Cab headlights were different :banghead:. Does the supplier sell the same lights for a Cab fitment too?

I think they would have looked good fitted too :thumbsup:

gutted mate!!!! was thinking that the cab lights are different as the bumpers mount slightly different, well i best get my name down in the cue if you decide to sell pm please

Anyone know where I can get the part number for my headlights - B6 S4 Cabriolet, there are numbers on the headlights which would be the part number if any?

Trying to source a second hand set of lights for plan B!!!

Hi All,

I had a mad plan to modify a used set of S4 Cab headlights to the glass/lens units of the LED ones but just havent been able to find any.

So reluctantly I am giving up, anyone want these lights? considering I had to repair them so they arent as good as a fresh factory set (but I reckon they are the only set converted to driving on the left!) I will let them go to a reasonable offer and only on the premise that whoever gets them fits and shows what they look like here

New they where £233, PM me an offer if you are interested

2008_0830Car0027.jpg

That is a shame after all this. From the picture I think they would look really good too :3sadwalk:

just got mine today fitted them this afternoon think they look propper smart

002.jpg

001.jpg

I am jealous they look really well on your car with it being black and with the grill, they do follow the line of the wing well, could have sworn I read somewhere you where selling it (why I didnt PM you), did I?

What did you do about the right hand drive set up or did you manage to get a set for the UK? You must be one of the first guys to have these

yeh it is up for sale at the min mate, need to free some cash up for a business venture and she has to go, thanx yeh they are rhd ones the only problem i had was them setting off the d.i.s on the dash but i have got rnd that by linking them stright into the ignition feed for the sideligths so they are permenantly on but hey they look mint

Can these be turned off at all, I see alot of the the new Audis have them .. I see them as useful as driving along with my wipers on intermediate on a dry, sunny day .. totally pointless.

im ressurecting an old thread here because if anyone has night shots of these DRL's could you post as im interested

:beerchug: