Noob & S3 Badge - Which Side?

LeonTT

Reaction score
Website
www.lmracing.co.uk
Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and looking into S3 ownership.

Currently have a TT but would like a little runaround with 4 seats and a boot!

I'm looking for a totally standard 210 - MY2000 (cheaper Tax) and just wondered which side the S3 badge should be on the back and front as it seems to vary on models i've seen on Autotrader.

Kind regards,

Leon

Should be on the left on the back of the car and the front it will be on the left too ..

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and looking into S3 ownership.

Currently have a TT but would like a little runaround with 4 seats and a boot!

I'm looking for a totally standard 210 - MY2000 (cheaper Tax) and just wondered which side the S3 badge should be on the back and front as it seems to vary on models i've seen on Autotrader.

Kind regards,

Leon

DSCF0463Large.jpg

Leon, i wouldnt bother about the tax mate.... whats £100, you waste that on 1 and half tanks of fuel..... personally i wouldnt let that affect my choice of car unless i was banger buying

Yes but the 210 engines are much stronger than the newer models!

Yes but the 210 engines are much stronger than the newer models!

'Much stronger' isn't really the term i'd use. This is only relevant if you're planning on some heavy engine mods to 300bhp+. Again, not really a sound reason to choose an older motor.

Actually i thought the Tax difference was more. My 2001 TTC 225 will be £415 next year and £430 the year after. Buying 2000 model it will stay at £210.

Thats what i've researched.:shrug:

in that case Leon im unsure as thought it was £100 difference....still not a massive amount.

I love this argument about engines....i know sod all about them but am certain that when they switched to BAM it would not have been anything other than to upgrade the existing engines.... albeit minimal differences, do you realy think a firm like VW/Audi would take two steps back with their development in newer cars.... makes no sense both on a financial level and engineering level

But which 'bit' is stronger? and why?

I'm no expert, but IIRC the gudgeon pin is 1mm larger on an earlier engine derivative (maybe AGU?), but as said it makes little difference unless you plan on heavy tuning.

As far as I know AGU, BAM, APX, AMK all have the 20mm gudgeon pin, AUM, AUQ, ARX have the 19mm gudgeon pin. So is there any physical difference between the 210 and the 225? Except power and emission control.

The above info came from Vag20V.net before I get told i'm wrong.

Seems i have unintentionally opened a can of worms that does not bother me. All i am concerned with is buying an original condition model.

Thanks for all the input though guys!!:yes:

Actually i thought the Tax difference was more. My 2001 TTC 225 will be £415 next year and £430 the year after. Buying 2000 model it will stay at £210.

Thats what i've researched.:shrug:

ALL BAM Engines will be the higher tax bracket £415 ( late 2001 - 2003 ) AMK Engines will be £300 ( early 2001 - late 2001 unless registered before early ( think it might be around march time ) 2001, in which case they will still be £215, so you could get a facelift with the £215 tax but you will be narrowing down your search, As long as you get a AMK engine with 210bhp you will be ok to the point of £300 or cheaper, ALL 225 BHP's are £400+ tax next year!! Robbing _ _ _ _'s