312MM upgrade DIY?

~RS~

Reaction score
How hard is it to swap over a set of calipers/ discs & pads from the 2.0 TDi's standard set up to a set from the MK5 GTi?

DSC02408.jpg

I have a set inc pads, discs, calipers and carriers. As the calipers & carriers are already painted red I want to swap everything over. What does this entail though? Does the brake system have to be bleed? Is vagcom required?

Cheers!

You could have got away with just changing your carriers and putting in the GTI Mk5 discs and pads.

It's fairly easy to chaneg them over though.

2 bolts on the back of the carrier, screw on the brake disc and undo them.

There's 2 clips which hold the pipe which goes to the caliper (n shaped)- pull them out with a pliers. One's behind the disc and ones on the arch.

Undo the bolt located on the pipe (just above the clip on the arch) and the pipe of the old caliper should come off and pull the old caliper off.

Put the brake disc on with the screw.

Then wind back the piston on the new caliper, cooper grease the pads and put them in the caliper and put in the holding clip.

Put the caliper on with the 2 bolts.

Connect up the pipe the same way you took the other one off but tightening the bolt which connects the pipes.

Put the 2 clips back on (n shaped ones)

Bleed the brakes (undo the bleed nipple and put a pipe in a bottle and get someone to pump the brakes)

The caliper on your 2.0 tdi and mk5 gti are te same - just the brake discs, pads and carriers are diff so you dont have to change the caliper but you my aswell to keep it all red! But you could savea bit of time by not changing it but its your call!

hth

Last edited:
Thanks for that Kaz! Much appreciated... Yeah I was aware that the carriers, disc and pads were all that were required (think I seen one of your other posts on the subject as it happens) but as they are red I thought I may as well change all, save me painting the old ones.

Is there any special tools required (excuse the newb Q's, I usually ket the mechanics deal with this stuff)

Erm - youll need the torx head set to undo the bolt on the discs (hit a hammer on the disc (middle area where the bolts go) to shock it a bit to undo that bolt otherwise you'll thread it.)

A socket set.

A caliper winder (but you could use a g clamp to push it back it - leave the pad in while winding back to avoid damamging the seal)

may need a long wrech/tourqe wrench as some of the bolts are really tight.

cooper grease.

The brake fluid will leak from the disconnected pipe so put the new caliper back on as soon as you can and you'll need some brake fluid to top it up (DOT 4 i use).

Thats about it!

Last edited:
The only thing simple about your AMG setup is the person fitting them...:p

Last edited:
I'm thinking of doing this mod to my car also. Does anybdy know if the rear GTI calipers and discs are the same as the 2.0TDI? or are they worth cahanging? :confused:

LOL - your funny mike, fcuks knows where you reponse came from? Quattronics are doing my set up, got discs now, buying pads next week then handing over to them. Whens your car gonna be ready? Bigger turbo again?! You'll be doing this =:asskicking: to everything in your way. Where abouts you in devon, I'm from Bristol, so when its up and running I'll drive down and you can show me what the torque eating monster is all about lol

I will PM you mate as i don`t want to take this thread off topic.

You could have got away with just changing your carriers and putting in the GTI Mk5 discs and pads.

That is correct as that is what 'Mikey' has done. Kaz have you got any pics of your A3, don't think I've seen any, also what mods you got planned?

I will PM you mate as i don`t want to take this thread off topic.

Replied. Cheers Mike.