Leon Cupra Brakes

Boydie

S3 8V DSG
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.reallymeansounds.com
Are they the same size as the S3?? need new pads :(

Drivers side front is squeaking like hell when just coming to a stop!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd imagine the fronts are the same pads, but the rears probably aren't as they're not a driven wheel.

Would it be better buying some Ferodo DS2500's and fitting them yourself?

They better pads than standard i take it?

how much are they?

I think they will exceed the standard kit.

I ususally contact Bill Brockbank at Badger 5 for pads:

http://www.badger-5.com/2001/mainpage.html

but as I haven't bought any yet for the S3 I have no idea how much. I'm sure the ones for my old LCR were about £80, but I can't be 100% certain.

I was quoted £118 for them from Motoscope.co.uk only two weeks ago.

As far as I know, Ferodo makes 3 kinds of pads:

Premium which is OE quality equivalent
DS Performance which gives slightly better results
DS2500: Racing performance pads

I am in no way an expert but I suppose the DS2500 would be a good choice if you track the car. They may also need more time to get to working temp and they will also wear out the rotors faster. I am going to chose one of the three during the coming days, but I think it wont be the DS2500. Just my opinion.

Yeah, fronts only for S3. I'm not sure how that compares, so if you find cheaper be sure to post 'em up.

I think they are the same although I'm not sure if the do the DS2500 for the Cupra yet and i'm sure over seen something about modifying the wera level indicator.

I've mailed Bill to see what's available/prices, and see if he can do any 'forum' prices for group buys. He's very good (been using him for parts since 2003).

I've mailed Bill to see what's available/prices, and see if he can do any 'forum' prices for group buys. He's very good (been using him for parts since 2003).

Nice one Warren, I would be interested if the price is right! ;)

How long are people getting from their pads?

I'm touching 20k and there's plenty left.

I can't understand mine....

The discs have only a slight lip on them and the pads have about 3mm left and its done 42k.........

Anybody know what the new & min. disc thinckness is?

I had my car at AP racing recently for 'development' - they confirmed the kit is exactly the same on the Cupra and S3 but the R32 has the previous generation set up and are slightly heavier, they commented that the OEM set up is very good for a single piston kit and that uprated pads would make a marked improvement, so do it Boydie, go for the Ferrodo fast road (unless you do the odd track day) as squeaky pads drive you nuts.

Spin

It is rather embaressing turning up to meets or going down the town a wee drive and coming to a stop with a face on you like a sour lemon because your ears are being murdered due to the fecking mousey brakes!

I doubt I will be doing any track days so probably go for the middle set of pads

thanks

I can't understand mine....

The discs have only a slight lip on them and the pads have about 3mm left and its done 42k.........

Anybody know what the new & min. disc thinckness is?

That's great!!

I'm not sure about anyone else but I tend to not use my brakes as much as most other drivers. When I see the lights are red I let the car slow down naturally. I really don't understand these people that accelerate all the way there and then brake at what looks like the last minute. On the motorway I leave a decent gap and am looking 3 cars ahead and just lift off when I need to instead of braking.

I'm sure I must add about 15-20% to the life of the pads at least!

Need to get that edge skimmed off the disc to stop the squeal though.....

Bill has come back to me and Ferodo don't do a Ferodo DS2500 for the S3 yet?????? Why after 3 years on sale they have not done so seems a bit of an oversight, but there you go. He is looking into some alternatives. I believe other models (3.2 / 2.0TFSI, 2.0TDi are all provided for).

Apologies, Warren

How long are people getting from their pads?

I'm touching 20k and there's plenty left.

I got 8,000 miles out of my first set - but that included 2 trips to the Ring and 3 UK trackdays. I'm on my second set and 16,000 miles later they are probably due for change now.

Upgrading pads can be a bit iffy can't it ? If you get high-grade performance pads which are only intended to bite when fully warmed up they may let you down on a cold winter's day when you need them most. That's my understanding anyway.

That's why I plan to go for just above standard pads

Keep this thread updated Boydie - I'll be watching closely what you get for when mine need replacing (next couple of months). Any thoughts yet ?

I am just getting prices from Seat for standard pads as a mate works there so will use that as a basis - never really had to buy performance pads before as this is my first performance hatch!

No idea where to go to get brakes!

Let us know how you get on price wise at Seat Boydie :)