What's it worth?

J7USS

Shuddup Foooool!!
Reaction score
Ok time to rattle your heads.

Ive got a chance to buy a 1.8T 04 plate, Red SLine Avant with 77k on the clock. 2 owners (both Young lady drivers), OEM spec all the way. Full service history up to the last service they had which was 69k - problem is that its had a minor Bump (good ol'snow) and will be in need of repair and from what they are saying is it'll need Offside wing/headlight/Bumper/Wheel.... I havnt looked at it yet but will be doing so on Thursday/friday so will be looking behind the scene to see if there is further damage.

Now after asking them what they want for the motor numerous times, all I get is make us an offer - "we're not interested in repairing it ourselves and we aint got the money anyway" (cheers then :cool:)......I have no Idea where to start, I have been looking around today over the net and im seeing these avants are worth anything from £7500 upwards.

Why dont they claim on Insurance I hear???

I asked the same and when they finally admitted it, they're couldnt afford to renew their policy before Xmas and hasnt been insured for over a month now (naughty naughty). Im not interested in that part anyway because what they do is their business, I just want to buy me a Cheap avant to either Keep (...yeeaaaahhh for the Mrs, QuattroJames ;)) or sell on for a profit...

I feel the need for a late Xmas treat to myself and ive worked hard all ****** year due to Jobs coming in left right and center so why not and I farted about few weeks ago and missed out on a Cheap 52plate S3 so a new year, new cake to get my teeth into :yes:

How much are these worth though in its current state?? (if it is just the cosmetic damage)

Ive got a Panel beater/sprayer who will sort me out, parts wont be mega expensive as ill go 2nd hand oh and nearly forgot its also a 'QUATTRO :eyebrows:' too.

Any Ideas appreciated???

no more than 4K i recon. Docurley picked his 190 quattro saloon up for around that and that had a decent lump missing out of the side of it

The red avants look great :thumbsup:

By the sounds of it the damage would cost circa £2-3k for a bodyshop to fix and sell on. I can't guess at a price, but why not ring a few salvage places to see what they would offer for it? If its got that level of damage then 99% of buyers would just walk away, so the worlds your oyster really.

Parkers price....

Franchised Dealer £9,595
Independent Dealer £9,320
Private Good £8,870
Private Poor £7,200

but 50k avg mileage versus 77k means it's nearly 60% over average...

plus all the work.... I'm guessing that once repaired, the car is probably worth around £6k... so work backwards on the price based on the cost of parts, hassle, etc.... and then you can probably knock a bit more off on top of that.... £4k sounds about fair if it's got a bit of cosmetic damage and the rest of the back-story.

edit: if it's £2k-£3k for the work then £3k-£4k for the car, if not less... especially given the distressed sellers and the fact that 99.9% of other potential buyers will just walk away.

Last edited:
my 04 plate i bought in august was 9400, with 48k miles on it. But this was MINT! not a mark on it.

Thanks for the Input Guys!
Yeah I'll know more when I actually see it too - I got Itchy fingers already!

Nutkin - Id imagine its exactly same as yours mate, forgot you had the red avant...

I know most of the guys down Nationwide Bodyshop and my cousin (sprayer) works there also and he reckons his Panelbeater/Mechanic will sort me out, just means they will do it out of hrs so I gotta make it worth their while.

Im hoping that there aint any 'Major' mechanical damage else I will most likely walk away. If it is all Ok and mainly cosmetic then ill stress to the sellers that Im going through a Bodyshop and will cost me S*it loads. Dont want to kick them whilst their down but its their fault for havin no insurance.

From what I can figure out, one of the birds has fell out with her partner and he cancelled the insurance because she told me she bought the car out of her Inherited money for both of them and he sorted the insurance out. ahh well, never mind.:)

James, we think alike, Im onto it Monday!

Trying to get over there to see it before if I can and ill get plenty of pics too.

If they had no insurance I would hpi it,could still be on finance?
She said she bought it out of some money she inherited but good point, best to be safe than sorry. If its do-able then that'll be the next step straight after.

If it is all Ok and mainly cosmetic then ill stress to the sellers that Im going through a Bodyshop and will cost me S*it loads. Dont want to kick them whilst their down but its their fault for havin no insurance.

Dont be too sympathetic mate. I know how you feel as I would most likely be the same, but you can guarantee if the situations were reversed they wouldn't repay you the courtesy!

need to HPI it anyway in case it's been reported / declared as damged - as it will ruin the resale value!

She said she bought it out of some money she inherited but good point, best to be safe than sorry. If its do-able then that'll be the next step straight after.

If you (or someone you know) is in the RAC you can get a full rac hpi check for a tenner! You don't get the full printed report sent in the post, just an online one to print yourself but cheapy cheap :)

I did the very same thing with a car years ago. On paper it looked a great deal. However, looking back on it now by the time I did all the work I don't think I actually saved that much. Maybe you might get the car finished for say £500 or a £1000 under it's true value. But there is always going to be a risk, plus lots of your time and effort in getting the car right.

Just be careful, very careful.

if it is just 'cosmetic' and you're going to do it with 2nd hand parts and mates rates on the spraying etc then that will cost you well under a grand to fix, go in at 4k, if you get it you're missus will be breezzing round in a quattro avant for under 5k!!

Do it....

;)

Grum - on the HPI site they say to check the Vehicle ID number on the OBC, windsreen and most importantly - on the chassis... I'm guessing this guy just ID'd via the reg-plate?

I repair cars for a living and couldnt tell you the amount of vehicles like this have come up. Honestly if you pay 4K for this motor it'll be too much in my opinion. Its a whole load of aggro when you get down to repairing it if a mojor component is damaged that you havent budgeted for!
This person struggled to raise a few hundred pounds to renew insurance so go in low mate, 3K is nearer what you want to pay to make it worth while. Lay it on thick, take a mate whos in the know and talk the woman down. 'Oh this needs repairing, that needs replacing....etc, etc. Tell her how much cash youve got say 3.5K max and leave your number, make it sound like your doing her a favour because not many others will buy a damaged car after Christmas and new year. Unless its an absolute must have, try your luck mate! Ive had many a bargain this way, trust me pal...

this all sounds really doddgy to me m8, a couple of girls no insurance bought with inheritence money,ah well who knows,hope it works out let us know how it turns out and dont give £4000 if their as desperate as they sound offer closer to 2k

The guys have a point... only reason for paying close to £4k or more would be if the damage is very, very obviously very minor and cosmetic.

Any idea how much the repair work is likely to be yet?

The point is they're distressed sellers and you need to get a price low enough that after you've gone through all that cost and hassle of repairing it, you still have a reasonable bargain - it is after all an accident repair job, so is never gonna be quite the same as a mint car... and if the "bump" looks like it could have damaged internals (intercoolers, gearbox, etc)... then the sensible thing might just be to make a stupidly low offer and/or walk away... just say "sorry, I don't think it's worth the risk of how much it could cost to repair it".

A word of warning: I saw a very minor "bump" on a Mk3 Golf that had only cracked the headlight and scraped the front off-side wing, but I think it had bumped up onto a curb and landed on something as the collision had somehow shunted the gearbox, so the whole 'box needed replacing! (even if that doesn't give you a bit more for to look out for, it might help you get creative with excuses ;) )....

TorqueTerrorist : You said exactly what my cousin was saying lastnight.He reckons 3K max if its cosmetic.Mechanical then depending on what it is then 2.5k.Im in the dark when it comes to things like this! He'll be coming with me anyway so if its all good then ill be transporting it on Sunday if they accept my offer.

Markyzs : Exactly what I was thinking, If I can get everything as cheap as poss then the guys are going to sort me out, spraying will only cost me for the price of paint and the panel beater is after new flooring in his house so being in the trade I could make this pretty worth while.

Not too excitement yet though, might turn out to be a right bag of S**T when I get there!

StevieQuattro - Yes I know where you coming from.Like I say from what I can work out she's been left in the dump when her other half left her.Apparently her grandma passed away last year and she got a lump sum.Her partner being typical probably forced her into buyin him a car but she put it in her name because I asked her that first. She's only a young girl aswell, at a guess id say no older than 26-27 and she now has one of her mates lodging at her house to help with the bills etc (fooooking good looking aswell :yes:). He used the car most but then when they fell out he stopped the insurance I think and she had no money left after spending it all on hair extensions/Boob job n all that lol. I was sinking the Brandy's whilst talking to them so may have got a few details mixed up, I was more fixed on the cleavage :eyebrows:

LostBok - Ive heard some horror stories like that too with my brother's purchase yrs back. Fiesta Zetec on the cheap, looked minor damage until he got it on the 4poster and took a look underneath, a right mess, you could see where they had a hammer here and there to try and strighten things up!

I intend to pay no more than 3k anyway so Ill start low, throw in a few flirts, give them my card and leave it with them if they want. If this dont work out then im looking to buy me a salvage S3 on the cheap for the Mrs if Poss.Ive gone nuts on them again. Drove one couple weeks back that was kickin nearly 300bhp and myyyyy Gossssh that thing was Quick.

Shag the **** off her and throw her 3k and she should think herself lucky!! Take pics too and post them up (car and her) (mostly of her though) hahaha!

Stoaksey mate, you need to steady on with the 'Bullying' ;)

Looks like I wont be looking at the motor yet. Friggin snowed in up there...

A little update -

Spoke to the couple again, tyring to make out they have already been offered a Lump for the motor THEN she kindly "reminds" me about the Airbag.....something she forgot to tell me in the first place WTF.
What a F**ing air head.How can you forget to mention the Airbag has deployed!! "its only had a 'slight bump' lol

So glad I didnt waste my time going all the way up leeds for F**k all. So im now back on the hunt for a slavage A4 Avant or an S3. Had a feeling it was too good to be true.

A little update -

Spoke to the couple again, tyring to make out they have already been offered a Lump for the motor THEN she kindly "reminds" me about the Airbag.....something she forgot to tell me in the first place WTF.
What a F**ing air head.How can you forget to mention the Airbag has deployed!! "its only had a 'slight bump' lol

So glad I didnt waste my time going all the way up leeds for F**k all. So im now back on the hunt for a slavage A4 Avant or an S3. Had a feeling it was too good to be true.

How come you fancy a change so soon? Didn't think you had had the current motor long?

Just checked out the Cat C write off's or worse and it's a pretty grim site! Some of the crashes make your heart skip a beat. Like THIS one for example!

On the flip side, it also makes me gutted that I don't have the know how to do anything with them. :)

Also, when is this site gonna sort itself out? It seems that each feature fixed causes another 2 to break, boo hiss! :no:

how can you forget to mention bout the airbags,f**king air heads me thinks

Last edited:
How come you fancy a change so soon? Didn't think you had had the current motor long?

Its just a project for now, want to get the mrs into either an Avant or an S3.She prefers the S3.

@ HEAD - exactly what I said.Done my head in but thats what you get for dealing with 2 blondies hey!!!! Thought it was too good to be true, still think there is more to it though...

so do i mate,to ave a car like that and to drive with no insurance,plus as said before how can they forget bout air bags.it could ave been a scam to get your cash or another sods cash

so do i mate,to ave a car like that and to drive with no insurance,plus as said before how can they forget bout air bags.it could ave been a scam to get your cash or another sods cash

The 'old man' in me is coming out now, but wonder whether it's worth reporting to the police before they attempt to try scam someone else?! It does all seem very odd, and I don't think it was an Air Head moment.