Filter conundrum

Lee Goodall

Reaction score
I was chatting to my mate last night who owns an S3 and we were discussing air filters. He was toying with the idea of fitting a Green Cotton replacement panel to the standard air box but I've always been under the impression that there's really no gain to be had as the standard paper filter flows very well as long as it's clean/replaced regularly.

Obviously if you were going BT then the standard box might be restrictive but what HP can be achieved with the standard filter setup on an S3?

For the price of a Green Cotton filter is it really worth it?

its a simple cost argument, cost of the cotton versus how many paper filters your likely to buy....and you may get a little woosh noise with the cotton i hear... all ive done is grind away the fins in my airbox and kept the paper filer....job done :)

its a simple cost argument, cost of the cotton versus how many paper filters your likely to buy....and you may get a little woosh noise with the cotton i hear... all ive done is grind away the fins in my airbox and kept the paper filer....job done :)

I assumed it was just down to maintenance so that's good to know.

Yeah I did the same on my old A4 and ran an extra CAI from the bumper to the bottom of the box.

well it is generally regarded that fitting an FMIS to the S3 will allow you to fit a 4" CAI ..is the best option

although others will argue that a cone will give you more air passing through, they wont state the temps of that air

well it is generally regarded that fitting an FMIS to the S3 will allow you to fit a 4" CAI ..is the best option

although others will argue that a cone will give you more air passing through, they wont state the temps of that air

Maybe a boxed cone filter with 4" CIA and FMIC is the way forward for my mate then?

nobodies acheived it yet :D although doesnt mean it isnt possible....that said testing has supposedly been done without a filter at all in test conditions without any meaningful benefit....so id be sceptical about trying full stop unless someone can provide some holistic figures that prove the notion wrong

Ha ha exactly what I'd said.. I challenged him to find any proof of any significant gains as I went through the same with my A4 but didn't know if it was the same case with the S3.

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

I run a Green Cotton filter and std airbox with a piece of 4" ducting replacing the std S3 airbox inlet bit...

<tuffty/>

mine is a paper filter in the std box with no extra cai
think i need to upgrade to a foam filter and possibly get a cai in there too

im pretty sure i read on here somehwere that the std setup + drop in is efficent upto 300bhp any power after that would benefit from an enclosed induction kit such as the bma cda, true or false?

for those thinking of fitting something such as a k&n cone i would consider the following, who spends more on r&d of their induction systems, an independant tuning company, or an international multi billion pound car company? no brainer to me :)

mine is a paper filter in the std box with no extra cai
think i need to upgrade to a foam filter and possibly get a cai in there too

im pretty sure i read on here somehwere that the std setup + drop in is efficent upto 300bhp any power after that would benefit from an enclosed induction kit such as the bma cda, true or false?

for those thinking of fitting something such as a k&n cone i would consider the following, who spends more on r&d of their induction systems, an independant tuning company, or an international multi billion pound car company? no brainer to me :)

Foam filter is a no no AFAIK as they degrade and coat turbos/engines or do you mean cotton (as in green cotton)?

Had an S3 with a Turbo Dynamics K04 hybrid in for a stage 3 mapping. It had a CDA fitted too it... airflow wasn't that brilliant so swapped it for a Jetex cone filter... gained 10g/s in airflow...

My car produced 383bhp with a std airbox, green panel filter and OEM exhaust... granted EGTs where too high but... proves the std kit can cope with most stuff...

<tuffty/>

i was told when i visited Revo that id need a cotton filter for stage 1 remap?
Is that not true? do you not need anything other than software for it?

i was told when i visited Revo that id need a cotton filter for stage 1 remap?
Is that not true? do you not need anything other than software for it?

Stage1 remap is just the code, anything you add to the car like exhausts and airfilters just aids it a little, but they don't seem to have the huge improvements on the S3, like Jap cars +5-10bhp with an exhaust system.

nope, the only thing i would say to buy is a OO7p DV valve...i dont spend unless its necessary and the air filter is not required for a stage 1....its a sales tact to get you to buy a package ;)