What do i need?

mattyboyc

B6 Veteran now Q5 owner
Reaction score
Hi, i put this post in the vag-com section but had no reply so just wondering if anyone can help me here!
Hi all, i am possibly looking at buying my own vag-com, i do have access to one but to be honest it belongs to a friend at his garage and is a pain in the bum when i want to use it and also he is not 100% sure on how to use it or quite what it is capable of doing, so what i want to know is, what lead do i need, where is the best place to get one and also is there a dummys quide to using it, i do like to play and do things for myself without relying on other people, the car is a A4 Avant 1.9tdi sport if that makes a diifference,

Thanks for your help,
Matt​

pm nige on here, username is NHN hes the man for leads and if you buy from him would also oblige with support im sure, he knows it inside out

pm nige on here, username is NHN hes the man for leads and if you buy from him would also oblige with support im sure, he knows it inside out

See, us b6 guys are right on the pace, i'll pm him now!
Thanks for your help
Matt

buying from rosstech direct would cost you about £30+ more with all taxes & delivery as import/customs kill you

Hi Matt,

There is a group buy going on at the moment the vag-com cacles are going for £195 + postage, if you are really quick like have the money paid into Gadgetmans account by 5pm today you will get it for a decent price, here is the link: http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/15...g-com-hex-can-usb-inter-forum-group-buy-2010/ you may need to pay directly into his bank account now are possibly paypal at an additional cost.

Good luck!!....

Seb

I found that group buy on briskoda via google search a couple of weeks ago so jumped on the deal. Not sure if there is still time as i think the closing date was today for the money getting in but defo worth messaging gadgetman.

Other than that i did spot a genuine one on ebay not long ago for about £200 so they do come up every so often, other wise as mentioned above you can get them direct from ross tech in the usa but you may have to pay import duty etc..

If you only want to work with cars between 1990 and 2004 without canbus you can get hold of the KEY-USB setup a lot cheaper. This is what i have for my B6.

I bought a cheap lead from a group buy on uk-mkivs forum (about £10), then downloaded the free software from Ross-Tech. This gives you the facility to scan the car and clear faults but not to make any further changes to anything, i.e. autolocking, adding DIS/cruise etc. What I then did was buy a license from Ross-Tech for $99 (about £63 at the time) which activates the full features allowing me to make any changes I want.

The only downside is the license is only valid for one software installation on one laptop, but for home use it's perfect.

They will even credit the $99 back to you if you decided to buy the new CAN-BUS system from them in the future which is great if you ask me.