LED Brake/Tail Bulbs

defsix

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased a pair of LED Stop/Tail bulbs from AutoBulbsDirect , they are these ones, I installed them easily and they worked perfectley....till i drove of. On the dash i had the traction control light and heater plug lights on indicating no brakes/tail lights. So back in with the standard bulbs until I sourced the correct resistors.

The first one is for the tails and the second is for the break lights , someone else did the math on these. These 2 resistors will act the same as the bulb it's replacing and DISAPATE THE HEAT SAFELY, most importantly. These resistors must be put in parallel with the bulbs to fool the system into thinking they are ok, the draw back is when the leds eventually do go you won't know unless you look. I wanted to install this in a way that was easy to return to original and without cutting looms.

So here's the install,
|| Remove tail lights, disconnect loom, remove bulb holder tray ( spend 1 hour recovering lost bolt AND socket )

|| scratch of the galv where 3 tail wires need to be soldered and solder on 3 wires, one for tail + , one for break + and a common -
17072010021.jpg

The purple was the +Stop , the red was +Tail and black ( on the left ) was earth - , Hot glue the cable into place, drill a small hole and thread the cable through gluing hole as well . Install LED bulb.
17072010023.jpg

|| Mounting the resistor was tricky, after several atempts the position shown below was best.
17072010024.jpg

routing the wires and affixing with more hot glue.

|| Reinstall bulb holder tray, terminating wires on both ends with crimps, different genders to avoid connecting wrong, from the resistor join a wire from each with the ground/negative . The large resistor lead connects to the purple wire and the small resistor lead connects to the red lead.
17072010026.jpg

|| Tidy the whole lot up, secure the wires
17072010027.jpg

Reinstall Tail light assembly, switch on lights to test. And It works :sly: and no errors :applaus:

17072010028.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, did you secure the resistor with something else too as they get very warm and will prob melt the glue tbh.

I have my resistors mounted to a strip of metal and the other end secured to the lamp bolt so it can use the metal as a heat sink too

Cheers for sharing, wasn't critisysing, just constructive comment from experience with the heat they generate

Nice one.

As an aside... are you running spacers on the wheels?

The Glue shouldn't melt as the resistors are oversize for the job and they are held in place by set hot glue which i have found to be relativley temp resistant.

5MM on the rear, just happened to have them handy , thinking of adding a little more though.

The Glue shouldn't melt as the resistors are oversize for the job and they are held in place by set hot glue which i have found to be relativley temp resistant.

5MM on the rear, just happened to have them handy , thinking of adding a little more though.

Ahh gotcha, glad you thought ahead. I wish i did last time i used them and tied them to the wiring....GULP

Them resistors are HUGE!!! Would quite like to see the lights at night too mate! And thanks for the write up, will be interseting to see how long they last. I've never had great luck with LED's in cars to be honest. But its a shame as they look so much better.

Well everything is still glued in place and working perfectly... I even think the car has more power now because of the less load on the alternator :laugh:
Here is a poor nigh shot with just tail lights, they're just as bright as standard bulbs, but less likely to blow ( the main reason I changed them in the first place )

19072010029.jpg

And here's one from the front, a single w5w LED .

19072010032.jpg

Just out of interest, did you buy the white or red LED bulb for the rear/brake lights? The reason for asking is that there is a red lens so wondered if you could get away with using a white LED bulb?

I had both , the white ones weren't as bright as the red. Thats because the led's only put out one color as opposed to a spectrum like tungsten halogen. I'd go for red again.

Thanks for the pics dude! I am liking the LED bulbs a lot. My headlight bulb just went again too, so i will have to change that as soon as I get a minute.