HELP/Advice Turbo gone - A3 TDI

karbonk

Living a little!
Reaction score
Car: Audi A3 2.0 TDI
Yr: 2004
Mil: 76,000

Im told my turbo has gone after hearing a whistling sound around 2k RPM. Replaced the broken air canister and noise is still there. Without them taking the turbo off and inspecting they are sure that the turbo is dead as its leaking oil into the pipes which they said the turbo could go at any time and cause major engine failure and blow the engine up. The car is being left with the garage, so I need to decide pretty quick.

Wondered what my options are regards replacing the turbo. OEM vs Bigger Audi turbo without any further mods needed or cost spent.

Euro Car parts is £800 for OEM Turbo alone + £179 fitted. Any ideas of where would be cheaper or even an upgraded one for cheaper? Would any Audi OEM turbos fit on the A3 TDI and benefit for power gains here?

Basically... I begrudge paying for something like a Turbo to be replaced without any gains/ noticeable difference from fitting when I have the option open to me now. But at the same time I dont want to pay any further money for the upgrade, so the cheapest way forward is the best option for me here.

Any comments/ thoughts or helpful links would be appreciate. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Quick Update:

Turbo Tronics - 2yrs Warrany - OEM Exchange basis -£450+VAT = £528.75
1yr Warranty - New OEM -£726+VAT = £853

CR Turbo - 1yr Warranty - OEM Exchange basis - £395+VAT+P&P = £464.13 + P&P
1yr Warranty - New OEM - £645+VAT = £757

What route do you chaps think is best? Need to decide within the next few hours.
Would a Refurbished Turbo be as reliable as a new one?
Which is the better/ more respectful company to go with if so?

Last edited:
No turbo company is going to refurb your turbo to a hybrid if it is broken/dead.

@ themikeyboosh:

no power loss I can feel as I dont race it to know really. Its definitely gone. Its drinking oil quick/ oil all in the pipes and if I go to a high rev it will suck out all the oil from the engine and eventually go bang!

@Devonmikeyboy:

I wasn't expecting them to convert it into a hybrid. I was referring to buying a new hybrid if going that route ;)

I have decided on buying OEM and getting a new or recon.

I am in a dilemma to buy new or recon. CR are cheapest and offer 1yrs warranty same as Audi offer a new unit. Is this as good as getting a new one?

Need some direction on who to buy from? Turbo Technics offer 2yrs but Audi only offer a 1yr on new turbos anyway. They come out more expensive. Anyone dealt with CR?

Last edited: