Engine codes

nozdog

Reaction score
Hi I,m new to this forum and would like to say Hi!

I'm looking at getting 2.5 V6 Diesel Quattro sport I think I may have found one but would like to know what the engine codes are for the V6 Diesel engines. I have done a HPI cheack and the engine number has come back with BDH is this a 180bhp it has a red I on the back of the car? I have read that the engine codes AKE are not the engine to go for and the later car have a code of BDH? It is a 2004 with 72000 miles with service history but unshure if the came belt has been done. Should this be done now or at 80000 miles, any other info I should check when I go to view the car this week its up for £7000 is this a good price with this milage? would be greatfull for any help Thanks Nozdog

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

All the 2.5 TDi quattros are 180bhp so don't worry there, they went from AKE to BDH with BAU somewhere in the mix too. The early AKE's I think had the weak cams, but in general IF looked after the engine should be fairly tough. Audi recommend changing the timing belt at 80k, but personally i would never let mine go over 60k so I'd factor in £500 to get the belt and all ancillaries done.

I cant comment too much on the price, have you tried Parkers? Bear in mind that leather/RNS/Cruise/DIS (trip computer) are all desirable options and (fairly) expensive to retrofit.

They're pretty robust cars and as long as you're car savvy you'll spot a duffer. Weak links include glovebox handles/hinges, wet carpets, slow wipers etc - but none are hard to fix.

Hi thanks for the info. I have sent over an email asking about he cam belt to see if has been replaced, just waiting to here back. The other car I was looking at was a Quattro 190 s line on a 2004? What do you think is the better car the V6tdi or 1.8t 190?

Hi thanks for the info. I have sent over an email asking about he cam belt to see if has been replaced, just waiting to here back. The other car I was looking at was a Quattro 190 s line on a 2004? What do you think is the better car the V6tdi or 1.8t 190?
wow thats an interesting question

Thats like comparing tits and fanny, both are great but it depends what you want to do with it.

Speed, no contest i reckon even steves with the diesel pulling more torque but being the heavier car.
MPG, Diesel but not by as much as youd think.
Sound, Personal Preference, imo nothing sounds as good as a petrol but the v6 does put accross a case.

End of the day the diesel on a like for like spec is going to be more expensive to buy as they hold value better but are you gonna make up for it with fuel costs who knows.

Swings and rounderbouts imo.

That is an interesting question!

It would be interesting to see how the 2.5 would compare to the 190 performance wise, the petrol would be quicker 0-60 as the diesel has such a short range gearbox and narrow power band, but 50-70 mph overtaking I think things would be different. The V6 is an aluminium block so 'only' weighs 120kg more than the respective 190. Torque is 370 vs 240 for info.

I've not heard a 1.8T to make a fair comparison, but the V6 does have a lovely growl, although I suspect the petrol has a better exhaust note, not sure how the standard exhausts sound tbh.

Hi the thing is that the both cars i'm looking at are both Quattro's with roughly the same spec but one is £7000 and the other is £8000.

Drive them both and see which you prefer and which suits your needs best.